What do i do now? Receiving debt collection letters for someone else

Thanks for that, you're a lot of help, i know what to do, what i wanted to know is what do i do if this person is doing this intentionally, she no longer lives across from me so i cant ask her why she's doing it.

Report it to the police, get a reference number.

Then ring or write to the debt collection agency and give them that number. That's what I did and the letters stopped.

Which has been taken in court to mean that you can open it if it has your address on it, whatever the name is, unless you have malicious intent. If it has your address on it, you always have reasonable excuse, because you want to know what the mail is that is addressed to someone else at your address.

Especially when there is no return address or it specifically states "do not return to sender".

i had this problem, went on for ages but i found that if you open the letter, call the company, explain you want the letters stopped and why, get the name of the person you have told, record it and also the date and time you rang and tell them you are recording it - at that they tend to leave you alone. Make sure you ask to be removed from all of their databases and any associated companies they work with or may have passed your address to or received it from.

It's a real hassle to do and it took me two years of receiving someone else's debt mail and just 'returning to sender' or chucking it before i caved in and went to the effort, but it does work and it also gives you a bit of leverage if they do it again, plus you know which companies are the culprits and can bluster about legal action if there are any repeat offenders.

Hope this helps :)

I've lived at my house for 14 years and I still get mail for the people who lived there previously.

I get the same, albeit I've not been here for 14 years.

One of the worst is DVLA.

6 Months ago, I received a VEL reminder, addressed to the previous tenant.

I e-mailed them, telling them he doesn't live here anymore.

Just received another reminder for his VEL. :roll:

Won't be contacting them a second time.

I've also had a letter from a private parking company, addressed to him, asking for just over £100, for parking on B&Q for too long. :hihi:

I had a similar problem.

I wrote to the company and informed them the person in question was no longer here. I said they were welcome to continue sending such letters, but there would be an administrative charge for dealing with them.

When they sent another postcard, I sent them an invoice... They haven't paid it so if I could remember where I put the card, I would send them a summons.

However, I have not had anything else since.

i had this problem, went on for ages but i found that if you open the letter, call the company, explain you want the letters stopped and why, get the name of the person you have told, record it and also the date and time you rang and tell them you are recording it - at that they tend to leave you alone. Make sure you ask to be removed from all of their databases and any associated companies they work with or may have passed your address to or received it from.

It's a real hassle to do and it took me two years of receiving someone else's debt mail and just 'returning to sender' or chucking it before i caved in and went to the effort, but it does work and it also gives you a bit of leverage if they do it again, plus you know which companies are the culprits and can bluster about legal action if there are any repeat offenders.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for this Onespeed, this is the first post ive understood and it will help..:)...thanks to everyone else for the positive replies...:)

Archived