Paying for air at petrol stations

Just went down to the Shell garage at bottom of Ecclesall Rd, filled tank up for nearly 70 quid. After paying drove round the corner to put some air in and shock horror you now have to pay for it:o! Would have thought the garages would view air as a bit of a loss leader and stand the cost which in the scheme of things can't amount to too much, compared to the potential business they may lose.

It cost 2 x 20p - only a sixth of a pint of beer, it's just the goodwill thing that wrankles.

May use Waitrose next time as I think theirs is still free!

So the garage spends a couple of thousand quid on on a machine to blow up tyres. They spend a fortune on electricity to run it and for maintaining it. I just wonder why you would expect that for nothing.

It's been free all this time up until now. Fortune on electricity to run it? Peanuts I would have thought.

So the garage spends a couple of thousand quid on on a machine to blow up tyres. They spend a fortune on electricity to run it and for maintaining it. I just wonder why you would expect that for nothing.

I expect it as goodwill from somewhere I've spent £50 and also to encourage people not to skimp on maintaining their car's road worthiness for the sake of a quid - and thus ensuring the safety of other drivers and of pedestrians.

Tesco now charge £1 to put water in the windscreen tank. It's supposed to have wash in it...well they either forgot to add it when I filled up or it was rubbish quality.

Wednesday1,

I know where your`re coming from-it does feel like penny pinching (certainly should be free for peeps buying fuel). I know of a Shell garage in Sheff that does free air. You take a left off the roundabout at Shalesmoor sort of going up the duel carriageway towards Brookhill roundabout, the shell garage is about 100 meters from the Shalesmoor roundabout. Sorry i don`t know the name (not from Sheff), someone will know.

Archived