Paying for air at petrol stations

... So when I go to check my tyres I don't mind waiting 5 minutes for the man in the Caltec van to finish recalibrating the gauge and then paying a few pence to use it. At least I know that my tyre pressures will be correct....

Assuming you have driven to the garage your tyre pressures still wouldn't be as correct as you'd like them as they have warmed on the drive to the garage. Does the guys calibrations take that into account?

Check pressures of cold tyres.

Assuming you have driven to the garage your tyre pressures still wouldn't be as correct as you'd like them as they have warmed on the drive to the garage. Does the guys calibrations take that into account?

Check pressures of cold tyres.

As I'm only worried about the pressures when I'm driving I couldn't really care less. However if you want to be super critical take a look at the certificate at the filling station. It actually lists the inaccuracies at any given pressure, so if you want 2.0 BAR you can get a more accurate pressure by looking what that actually reads on the forecourt gauge and inflating your tyres accordingly.

Ok ... so there's several people here who don't want to pay to inflate their tyres. (the round things that spin round and round and are of paramount importance to the safety of the occupants of the vehicle and the vehicle itself)

20p (per week) is way too much to ensure this safety standard ... Jeez! ... after three months it comes to the same amount as a pint of beer!:rolleyes:

Maybe you should all club together and build a spacecraft (capable of carrying cars) and fly to a planet that has an atmospheric pressure of 37psi (or whatever) ... some of these planets may indeed have a nitrogen atmosphere which would be even better! (apparently :rolleyes:)

When you get there, simply depress the tyre valves of aforementioned cars and return to Earth!

Problem solved! ... you'll be able to laugh in the faces of people stupidly wasting their hard earned 20p's as you drive past them and (sticking your tongues out), enjoy a free pint down the pub! (assuming your spaceship is capable of superlightspeed and can make it to the planet and back in three months) :loopy::)

(Do I qualify for a MOS Gold?)

It doesn't really matter to me who has the busiest forecourt. It is rather like saying the pub that does 2 meals for £10 is busier than the place up the road that cooks proper food. I know which one would get my business.

You get what you pay for in this life. So when I go to check my tyres I don't mind waiting 5 minutes for the man in the Caltec van to finish recalibrating the gauge and then paying a few pence to use it. At least I know that my tyre pressures will be correct. I'd rather do that than spend 10 minutes checking them and ending up with the pressures worse than when I started.

It is better to spend a little to avoid spending a lot, and a wrongly inflated tyre wears out far quicker than a correctly inflated one. It is also far less likely to blow out. So when you are changing your blown tyre on the way home from your 2 for a tenner meal, you might just reflect on that.

I'm sure it doesn't matter to you but it will matter to the garage owner. I'm just surprised with the marginal cost of providing free air that more people don't do it.

If you really want your tyres to be the correct pressure then you carry your own gauge. It's foolish to trust one on the forecourt as they get a fairly large amount of abuse.

Now I suggest you take your attitude and put it somewhere where it's not needed. I never said anything about bargain basement or cheap prices - you decided to take that and try it as a stick to beat people with - the only person you will hurt is yourself however.

Ok ... so there's several people here who don't want to pay to inflate their tyres. (the round things that spin round and round and are of paramount importance to the safety of the occupants of the vehicle and the vehicle itself)

20p (per week) is way too much to ensure this safety standard ... Jeez! ... after three months it comes to the same amount as a pint of beer!:rolleyes:

It's more that I might not have the appropriate coinage to feed into the machine that's the problem rather than an unwillingness to pay.

It doesn't really bother me much - I'm got a nice little accurate meter and a footpump at home that I use. It's amazing how some people love to try and feel superior and adopt a holier than thou attitude (and I don't include you in that) just to make themselves feel better.

I'm sure it doesn't matter to you but it will matter to the garage owner. I'm just surprised with the marginal cost of providing free air that more people don't do it.

If you really want your tyres to be the correct pressure then you carry your own gauge. It's foolish to trust one on the forecourt as they get a fairly large amount of abuse.

Now I suggest you take your attitude and put it somewhere where it's not needed. I never said anything about bargain basement or cheap prices - you decided to take that and try it as a stick to beat people with - the only person you will hurt is yourself however.

But how do you know that your pressure gauge is accurate? When was it last checked? I suspect that some pocket gauge made in Taiwan will be as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

So I suggest you take your attitude and stick it where it's not needed. I'm sure the folk at the pub would appreciate that as it might stop you talking through it.

I know it's accurate because I built it - that's what engineers tend to do. Once again you take the implied assumption that what I have must be cheap, must be crap and therefore you take the abusive position. Wise up - no-ones buying it and you are looking foolish.

I know it's accurate because I built it - that's what engineers tend to do. Once again you take the implied assumption that what I have must be cheap, must be crap and therefore you take the abusive position. Wise up - no-ones buying it and you are looking foolish.

Oh gosh an engineer who built his own tyre gauge. And just what did you use to calibrate it? Wise up - no-ones buying it and you are looking foolish.

Oh gosh an engineer who built his own tyre gauge. And just what did you use to calibrate it? Wise up - no-ones buying it and you are looking foolish.

An accelerometer and known mass. Despite what you think there are people out there who actually do build these things or do you assume your car just pops into existance at some building somewhere with no human input at all?

Archived