Paying for air at petrol stations

In all honesty, I don't really see a need to moan about paying to have your tyres inflated to the correct pressure. One of the main reasons to have them at the correct pressure is to reduce wear ... thus saving money.

Another reason is that having your tyres at the correct pressure gives optimum fuel economy .... thus, saving more money!

Considering tyres are the only thing that keeps your car in contact with the road (wether an old banger or a supercar), I think it's paramount to maintain them at their correct pressure. Sadly, a lot of people don't bother. 50p to ensure your vehicle is in correct contact with the road surface is money well spent if you ask me, considering you're going to recoup it in wear and tear and fuel economy. Not to mention safety! (although tyres can run at much lower pressure than recommended in certain circumstances)

The correct pressure is not too important to say +- 1psi as these are manufacturers guidelines and are given for the weight of an unloaded car, but best to stick to if you're not carrying around the normal rammel that people stick in their boots.

Stuff happens.

If you don't want to pay inflated rates to inflate your tyres with air, p-mail me an I will put you into contaxct with somebody who will inflate your tyres with an 80/20 Nitrox mix for £1.00 a tyre.

We aim to please.

You aim too please.

No doubt they'll fill the screenwash with a dihydrogen oxide and anionic surfactant compounds for a fee as well?

Do they?

Why?

All that is wanted, and what I used to see a lot, is an air-line. It would be nice if the pressure guage is somewhere near accurate, but you should know you can't rely on them.

I suspect that is the problem: somebody somewhere used an inaccurate gararge air line, then sued.

You are talking about the airlinge gauge that fits on the end of the air pipe. I have no doubt that they are accurate on the day they are made but after the petrol delivery truck has run over it 10 times and customers have let it rewind back at 60 MPH it will soon be bashed out of calibration.

The majority of coin in the slot inflators have a digital gauge inside the main unit away from forecourt damage. Many now have nitogen generators that fill tyres with N2 instead of air as oxygen will rot tyres from within.

I suppose there are folk who consider 20p too much to pay for this service, but then go and pay £1.50 for a bottle of water.

If folk are that short of cash I suggest investing in a 20p tyre check every month and offsetting the cost by taking 2 pints of beer at Wetherspoons instead of your local each year.

I got that exact one from netto :)

Works, but takes an age.

I know i had one,they have a £20 power station in now and then all self contained so you don't have to plug it into your car,inflates very quickly and also has jump starting capability and torch built in.Can highly recomend.

You are talking about the airlinge gauge that fits on the end of the air pipe. I have no doubt that they are accurate on the day they are made but after the petrol delivery truck has run over it 10 times and customers have let it rewind back at 60 MPH it will soon be bashed out of calibration.

The majority of coin in the slot inflators have a digital gauge inside the main unit away from forecourt damage. Many now have nitogen generators that fill tyres with N2 instead of air as oxygen will rot tyres from within.

I suppose there are folk who consider 20p too much to pay for this service, but then go and pay £1.50 for a bottle of water.

If folk are that short of cash I suggest investing in a 20p tyre check every month and offsetting the cost by taking 2 pints of beer at Wetherspoons instead of your local each year.

As mentioned in the OP it ain't the amount of cash, it's the principle!

Archived