Paying for air at petrol stations

Tyre pressures should be checked weekly, so unless you fill up weekly this is not going to work! :roll:

I don't know anyone who checks tyres weekly, but if you are at a filling station checking your tyres weekly I can't see why you can't fill up weekly as well.:huh::huh:

Best option I'd have thought, would be to provide tokens free if you've bought fuel...

Tyre pressures should be checked weekly, so unless you fill up weekly this is not going to work! :roll:

Most fuel dealers will try to give you a loyalty card to save up points for gifts or whatever.

So why not fit the air machines with a loyalty-card reader?

I don't know anyone who checks tyres weekly, but if you are at a filling station checking your tyres weekly I can't see why you can't fill up weekly as well.:huh::huh:

Suppose it depends how much fuel you use in a week. A lot of people (well me anyway) only fill up when they have used more than half a tank.

If you only check your tyres when you are filling up, it could be several weeks between checks depending on your mileage! Tyres deflate even if the car is not used!

I use my own tyre pressure gauge/compressor at home weekly - by using your own gauge you can identify any loss in pressure more easily. Because you are using the same gauge each time you eliminate any discrepancies between garage gauges. Yes, they are supposed to be checked but who knows how accurate they are on any day?

I bought myself a pump/compressor a couple of years back. Runs from car 12v.

- I no longer have to pay garage

- I can check tyres whenever

- I can check tyres when cold, rather than warming them on way to garage

I bought myself a pump/compressor a couple of years back. Runs from car 12v.

- I no longer have to pay garage

- I can check tyres whenever

- I can check tyres when cold, rather than warming them on way to garage

EU standard on pressure gauges is for an accuracy of + or - one division of scale. That's when the gauges is made. What's the scale division on your pump? To me 20p is a small price to pay for knowing my tyres are at correct pressure. No lump of Taiwanese crap that costs £10 is going to do that 6 months down the line.

Just as a matter of interest what's the size of the gauge?

To me 20p is a small price to pay for knowing my tyres are at correct pressure.

That's my point. The correct pressures are for cold tyres are they not? Driving to garage to check warms the air and knocks out the accuracy.

edit:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/tyre-pressures.html

No lump of Taiwanese crap that costs £10 is going to do that 6 months down the line.

Just as a matter of interest what's the size of the gauge?

Digital.

I expect it as goodwill from somewhere I've spent £50 and also to encourage people not to skimp on maintaining their car's road worthiness for the sake of a quid - and thus ensuring the safety of other drivers and of pedestrians.

Tesco now charge £1 to put water in the windscreen tank. It's supposed to have wash in it...well they either forgot to add it when I filled up or it was rubbish quality.

Yes I noticed the water charge so went into the main store and bought a large bottle of their Value water for circa 17 pence. :D

Archived