Rusty exhaust Ford Focus – something to worry about?

:help:

Hi all,

I’m thinking of buying a used car, a 2001 Ford Focus. I opened the bonnet and checked for things that I’m told were ‘obvious’ signs of problems (white liquid on engine, grainy/black oil) etc. These seemed fine, but I did notice that underneath the engine and other bits, something that looked like an exhaust pipe looked quite rusty. I’ve done a bit of googling and people are saying various things, I’m not sure whether to be worried and avoid buying the car or not!

Is this something I should worry about and a significant reason not to buy the car? They’re asking for £1,400 for the car, I was hoping to negotiate them down to £1,300 because there’s a scuff on the corner.

If I have to get the exhaust replaced, does anyone know how much is it going to cost me roughly? It’d be useful to know how much each of the 3 parts cost, and the total cost.

I’d be really grateful of any help!

Thanks,

A-F

Hi airy fairy,

You're in luck, I used to manage a garage building custom exhausts for boy racers. Exhausts, unless days old, are always covered in rust, especially right at the front (which is cast iron) because of the heat and, underneath, the salt - like a newly burntout car going rusty in minutes, its something to do with hot steel oxidising more efficiently apparently. The only thing you need to be concerned about is whether or not it is actually blowing (has holes in). If it does have a hole in, apart from the one at the end ;), you will need either to repair it or, more likely, replace the offending section before your next MOT as it will most likely fail the emissions test if it is not sealed.

To test that it does not have holes in it get a rag and, while the engine is ticking over, clamp your palm, with the rag over it, over the end of the pipe. Pressure will build up like doing the same with a bicycle pump, if there's any little holes you will hear them hissing now and be able to find them. If there's a joint hissing somewhere along the pipe that is not badly rusted away then, chances are, you will be able to just get someone to stick some silicone sealant in the joint and put a new exhaust 'U' clamp around it - so don't worry too much if that's the case. If there's a hole in one or more section of the exhaust (there's three sections normally each one joined with a U clamp) then each one will cost you about... ohh... £70 mate and I'm cutting my own throat at that to get replaced. The section nearest the front is the most expensive, it has a catalytic converter in it (the big chamfered bulge) and a flexible section of woven wire. Those bits will probably cost £150+.

There you know all I do.

My second hand (inherited from father to son for 9 generations) car buying tip: only buy old cars that have 11 - 12 months MOT on them (of this run-around ilk) otherwise you're just heading for a bill straight off, also the MOT tester has done all but the cosmetic and un-emissions related engine checking work for you. If it doesn't have an MOT or only has a month left and you're really keen then take it for one before you buy it, its worth the £35.

Why have I just spent ages writing all that, I wanted to find an acting job.. I should have just crossed the road and kept on walking. Damn, damn, damn, I thought I'd got over that exhaust fetish.

Hi all,

I’m thinking of buying a used car, a 2001 Ford Focus. I opened the bonnet and checked for things that I’m told were ‘obvious’ signs of problems (white liquid on engine, grainy/black oil) etc. These seemed fine, but I did notice that underneath the engine and other bits, something that looked like an exhaust pipe looked quite rusty. I’ve done a bit of googling and people are saying various things, I’m not sure whether to be worried and avoid buying the car or not!

Is this something I should worry about and a significant reason not to buy the car? They’re asking for £1,400 for the car, I was hoping to negotiate them down to £1,300 because there’s a scuff on the corner.

If I have to get the exhaust replaced, does anyone know how much is it going to cost me roughly? It’d be useful to know how much each of the 3 parts cost, and the total cost.

Thanks,

A-F

im thinking u mean the downpipe?the 1 from manifold?..well brand new 1 gonna look rusty after the paint burns off in a few weeks so if its not blowing then could last ages...but id say about 80 quid 4 downpipe,,roughly 40 quid per box section.but then again price can vary depending on where you go

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks,

A-F

whats this got to do with sheffield sports?

Archived