The Dempsey's Megathread

skyfitsboy

Al: I ended up in there Sunday night.

Had a ball! (as in a fun evening) Was generally unaware of most people other than my friends and I but it was a good atmosphere, if not the usualy sauna.

Dempseys might not be much, but it's what we've got so we might as well make the most of it whilst it's open!

My reliable insider sources tell me it was absolutely rammed last bank holiday weekend. I was in on Wednesday for the Karaoke and it was unusually quiet - no doubt everyone spent out or saving up for Climax.

But still it was very good - had a most interesting conversation with a straight camp man, married to a lesbian, with 2 gay sons, 2 gay cats and a gay dog !

So I had to do my brave part to carry the Karaoke with Curtis and warble not one but TWO songs one of which was a duet introducing a newbie to Karaoke ... PS I hope he didnt leave his packet of chocolate buscuits at the bar (people know what I mean ;-)

SpiderPete dear I think you were upstairs playing pool with JamesOGT at the time !

No - show them your old one and you will get a new "Gold" card for free I think - thats because it is such an "elite" club now with lots of straight people clamouring to get in also - so get yours quick !

By thw way what do people think of the Cocktail bar upstairs - isnt it a bit pricy at a fiver a cocktail - through you can sample the delightful company of the loverly Andy also ;-)

No - show them your old one and you will get a new "Gold" card for free I think - thats because it is such an "elite" club now with lots of straight people clamouring to get in also - so get yours quick !

By thw way what do people think of the Cocktail bar upstairs - isnt it a bit pricy at a fiver a cocktail - through you can sample the delightful company of the loverly Andy also ;-)

Dempsey's an elite club!!! Please give me a break …I know its the only reasonable gay club/bar in Sheffield but I wouldn’t go as far to say its an elite club/bar. As for this member ship thing I don’t see the point of it's a money making thing don’t get me started on that!!!

DEMPSEYS SPECIAL BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY NIGHT EXTRAVAGANZA

Special announcement from John Paul ...

Often billed as Yorkshire's answer to Lily Savage, Penny Change has an irreverent wicked but warm wit. Bouncing off an audience with the speed of a machine gun. She doesn't take prisoners and is not afraid to use material very near the knuckle. Often rude but never crude, Penny wins over a crowd with all the polish that comes from being a professional for over 30 years.

Having worked in 10 countries on 3 Continents, Penny's show now consists of stand-up and visual comedy, audience participation, comedy characters and usually a bit of speciality fire eating thrown in for good measure ...

That just about sums up just how good Penny Change is and how she has lasted the course on the local drag circuit. Make sure you pay a visit and catch it for yourself.

Don't forget we're forging ahead towards the summer and we have entertainment every night of the week. Our faithful Ratt hosts our Games Nights every Tuesday and Thursday in the downstairs bar. 'Play Your Cards Right' and 'Open the Box' are both going down well and, on Tuesdays, we have the added bonus of Bingo at 10.30pm. Get those dabbers out and use them for what they were intended for, you dirty bleeders!

Curtis hosts our infamous karaoke nights on Sundays and Wednesdays. These never falter in popularity and we seemed to have unearthed some quite good singers over the months (and some awful ones, too, but as long a they're happy!)

On the second Thursday of each month we also feature a male stripper in the upstairs bar with the entertainment normally taking the floor around 11.30pm. From my point of view it's just one of the perks from working in the DJ box because I get to see everything...

That's about it for now. We welcome back Colin and Dawn from holiday and now I expect we'll have to listen for weeks as to how good a time they had. How boring!

And of course you can see me in appearance at the Sunday Karaoke night....

Archived