The Manor c. 1841

By my calculations, there were about 234 people living at, around or near the Manor in 1841.., in a more or less self-contained, self-sustaining "manner" (no pun intended lol). Does anybody have a sense of how they might have been perceived by the residents in Sheffield proper? In other words: Were those living at, around and near the Manor at that time regarded as being "on the wrong side of the tracks?"

Sounds like a dumb question, but there is a reason for it.

Thanks,

Mike

According to the 1841 Census and other records, my gggg-grands and their kids lived somwhere near or at the Manor ruin between 1830 and 1842+. Their oldest, my ggg-grandfather, married in 1835 and was living on Andrew Street (now "something-Dooley Way"), Brightside, with his in-laws. I am in the US. I managed to find two other descendants here in the US, who don't know each other, but who both told me a somewhat similar rumored tale about how the in-laws (the one's in Brightside), weren't altogether happy about their daughter marrying who she did, etc, and I am wondering that if that is true, could it have had anything to do with where he came from. Evidently, the Manor was surrounded by poor hovels, poverty and disease at the time... although that might in and of itself be no different than other of the slums inside the then overcrowded limits of the city proper. My gggg-grandmother died at the Manor in Jan 1842, of TB, and is buried in Attercliffe, so there is some truth to the poverty and disease aspect of the Manor at that time.

I have a circa 1864 photo of the Manor, and it shows what appears to be more than few cottage-type houses plastered up against the ruin walls, where it appears the back wall of the cottages was basically the ruin wall itself. I don't know when the civic decision was made to clean the place up, but I assume it occurred sometime during or over the course of the last century, so the seemingly disappearing Manor might actually have been the clearing away of the extraneous cottage buildings that were still attached to it (?).

Archived