The Manor c. 1841

My father's adopted mother was born in 1865, on her birth certiifcate it merely says, "Manor". I know from the information which she gave to my father that her family, who'd moved here from the Nottingham area presumably for work lived, as you described, in a small settlement of houses which were literally built within the old castle ruins.

There are a couple of pictures on here: http://www.picturesheffield.com/

On my gggg-grandmother's Jan 1842 death certificate it describes the place of death, (in the limited space provided), as "Manor." Per the 1841 Census, the Manor area in general was enumerated a number of different ways dependent on specific locale in, near or around the general Manor ruin area:

Manor Castle Yard

Castle Yard Manor

Manor Lane

Manor Quarry

Manor Wood Colliery

Manor Farm

Prospect House

Park Farm

All of the above places were included in "Enumeration District (ED) 18", and the total population of "ED 18" in 1841 (Manor and immediate area around it) was 234.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of two mostly similar genealogical rumors that have managed to survive over a century and a half, through two different familial branches, with neither source being aware of the other.

On my gggg-grandmother's Jan 1842 death certificate it describes the place of death, (in the limited space provided), as "Manor." Per the 1841 Census, the Manor area in general was enumerated a number of different ways dependent on specific locale in, near or around the general Manor ruin area:

Manor Castle Yard

Castle Yard Manor

Manor Lane

Manor Quarry

Manor Wood Colliery

Manor Farm

Prospect House

Park Farm

All of the above places were included in "Enumeration District (ED) 18", and the total population of "ED 18" in 1841 (Manor and immediate area around it) was 234.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of two mostly similar genealogical rumors that have managed to survive over a century and a half, through two different familial branches, with neither source being aware of the other.

Have you placed a post on here, they may be able to help you:

http://www.sheffieldindexers.co.uk

Have you placed a post on here, they may be able to help you:

http://www.sheffieldindexers.co.uk

Yes, I thought about it. There a couple other Sheffield genealogy forums that I thought I might toss this at as well. This is one of those ancient and subjective historical calls that probably only an avid local history geek might have an answer for.

Besides these rumored stories, I am amazed that at least a couple of these poor and beaten forebears managed to get up enough gumption and money to haul themselves up, and move (late 1840's) -- to a rugged and remote wilderness in the US, no less. To this day, it's still a rugged and rather remote and sparsely populated area, in northern Pennsylvania.

Mike

Yes, I thought about it. There a couple other Sheffield genealogy forums that I thought I might toss this at as well. This is one of those ancient and subjective historical calls that probably only an avid local history geek might have an answer for.

Besides these rumored stories, I am amazed that at least a couple of these poor and beaten forebears managed to get up enough gumption and money to haul themselves up, and move (late 1840's) -- to a rugged and remote wilderness in the US, no less. To this day, it's still a rugged and rather remote and sparsely populated area, in northern Pennsylvania.

Mike

There has been a lot of restoration work there over the years, I'm trying to find the name of the guy who's responsible for it, I'll be back.

Archived