Come back bbc all is forgiven

But the advertising pays for the show, or at least a proportion of it, so america is paying towards the upkeep of the bbc and keeping the licence fee lower than it otherwise might be.

Not sure i would call it "free" - maybe adware :D

But... It is free to the user in America. TBH I quite like ads (they give you time to make a cuppa):D.

I genuinely don't care if the BBC sells it's content around the world; or whether those countries users' pay or not. Better to export our TV shows than import them from elsewhere:thumbsup:.

But the advertising pays for the show, or at least a proportion of it, so america is paying towards the upkeep of the bbc

Some of the shows BBC America was showing last month, including 'Antiques Roadshow' date back to the early 1990's. How did advertising revenue on BBC America pay for these shows, considering the US channel only launched in 1998?

Some of the shows BBC America was showing last month, including 'Antiques Roadshow' date back to the early 1990's. How did advertising revenue on BBC America pay for these shows, considering the US channel only launched in 1998?

That's like saying how can C5 show US programmes that were made before it went on air. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Well, the USA contributes - it might not come directly from the viewer, but it does in a roundabout way via the advertising.

So is your problem now that we have high quality content from the BBC and should not be sharing it with the rest of the world?

My concern is that the UK TV licence fee payer is subsidising the rest of the world's entertainment. Why are adverts good enough for US citizens, but not the UK's?

My concern is that the UK TV licence fee payer is subsidising the rest of the world's entertainment.

How are UK TVL fee payers subsidising the "rest of the world's entertainment" when the US broadcasters pay the BBC for the shows?

Because the BBC's charter states no adverts. Simple, really:rolleyes:.

Good, who wants ads? Selfishness is being forced to sit through 5 minutes of guff at high volume every 5 minutes because some corporate fool thinks you'll buy some product if they wave it in your face.

That's like saying how can C5 show US programmes that were made before it went on air. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

My point is that a poster claimed that advertising paid for those programmes shown recently on BBC America, or "at least a proportion of them". This is factually incorrect. Those shows were produced because they were funded entirely out of the UK TV licence fee. The US audience is enjoying those shows because people in the UK paid for them.

Archived