Come back bbc all is forgiven

If i buy something, then 5 years later sell it, my net cost for that item is buy cost - sale cost = net cost.

Similarly, if the BBC make a program for (eg for round numbers) £1m, then 20 years later make £100k from advertisements during a rerun of that program, the net cost of that program, no matter how long ago it was made, has gone from £1m to £900k.

So yes, the advertising has paid for a proportion of that programmes cost.

A word to the wise... You're wasting your time on this one I'm afraid:(.

Is it nonsense, or a blatant lie, to state that BBC America (a commercial television channel) shows TV programmes that the UK licence fee payer has paid for?

Part paid for, as has already been pointed out.

Are you seriously suggesting that all content on BBC America is original, and has not been aired previously in the UK?

Now you're just making up things that have never been said.

Do you think that we are all fools?

Not all, you are a special case ;)

One massive oxymoron there:D.

News and entertainment, in the same package:o.

Well, you're in the USA, posting about US TV....

Im pretty sure you didnt read the context. I was replying to a poster about the bbc not America when I was talking about a TV tax being un American

Actually it is NOT a news channel by their own arguments in court - they were being sued and to defend themselves they had to argue they were not a news channel they were an entertainment channel (something to do with a certain amount of balance being required if you actually are a news channel - was directly tied to some straight out lie they told on air)

but its called fox news:confused:

My point is that a poster claimed that advertising paid for those programmes shown recently on BBC America, or "at least a proportion of them". This is factually incorrect. Those shows were produced because they were funded entirely out of the UK TV licence fee. The US audience is enjoying those shows because people in the UK paid for them.

Are you intentionally being difficult?

BBC America is not run using any licence fee funds - it's is a channel run by BBC Worldwide - the commercial arm of the BBC - which has to pay its way and gets NO income from the licence fee. Virtually the entire BBC's back catalogue of programming is available for any channel to purchase the rights to, and BBC Worldwide will have paid the BBC to show the programmes on the BBC America channel. This income can then be used to supplement the licence fee.

It is no different to UK channels paying millions of pounds for the rights to show the Simpsons / Lost / 24 / whatever other American programmes.

My point is that a poster claimed that advertising paid for those programmes shown recently on BBC America, or "at least a proportion of them". This is factually incorrect. Those shows were produced because they were funded entirely out of the UK TV licence fee. The US audience is enjoying those shows because people in the UK paid for them.

Many of our public tv stations air BBC shows and they pay the BBC for them. Eastenders, Waiting for God, Antiques Road Show UK, Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served....the list goes on an on. I realize these are older shows but viewers are the ones who pay to see them as Public Television is run solely on the grants of foundations and contributions of its viewers. So,while the licensing fees there may have paid for the initial production, surely some of that is recouped by selling them on.

Many of our public tv stations air BBC shows and they pay the BBC for them. Eastenders, Waiting for God, Antiques Road Show UK, Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served....the list goes on an on. I realize these are older shows but viewers are the ones who pay to see them as Public Television is run solely on the grants of foundations and contributions of its viewers. So,while the licensing fees there may have paid for the initial production, surely some of that is recouped by selling them on.

It is true that the substantial cost of BBC programme production is met initially by UK BBC TV licence fee payers, whilst sales to overseas territories does help to recoup a little of that cost. PBS channels love BBC content as it tends to be quite cheap, in comparison to the big American shows.

It's just disappointing that most US citizens remain largely unaware of the immoral and unjust way in which those BBC programmes are funded - through a tax on people watching television - which hits the poorest especially hard.

Some people may be opposed to having adverts on the BBC, but personally I can't see that it makes much difference, as every single other television channel/radio station/website does it without any fuss. The BBC needs to become a fully fledged company, without the need for external tax payer support.

It is true that the substantial cost of BBC programme production is met initially by UK BBC TV licence fee payers, whilst sales to overseas territories does help to recoup a little of that cost. PBS channels love BBC content as it tends to be quite cheap, in comparison to the big American shows.

It's just disappointing that most US citizens remain largely unaware of the immoral and unjust way in which those BBC programmes are funded - through a tax on people watching television - which hits the poorest especially hard.

Some people may be opposed to having adverts on the BBC, but personally I can't see that it makes much difference, as every single other television channel/radio station/website does it without any fuss. The BBC needs to become a fully fledged company, without the need for external tax payer support.

I was unaware (and horrified when I found out) until about 4 years ago that people in the UK were forced to pay for a TV license and I venture to say most Americans have no idea about this.

I am also in agreement that the BBC should become a fully fledged company that has to make its way in the market just like any other company.

Archived