Star cinema matinee sat dinner

givin

Hi John, I also used to go to the Star on Saturday afternoons and remember the YoYo competitions, walking the dog etc. Weren't the seat edge gripping serials great? You always thought the hero would never survive until the next week, but there he was the next Saturday getting out of some impossible situation. Phew!!! Do you remember Tarzan? and the fabulous tricks he got up to?

Hello Janber,

Yes I do remember seeing Tarzan with his chimpanzee Cheeta - my mate use to look like cheeta........had ears like taxi doors.

One of the best memories for me about going to the Star pictures was going to the sweet shop first near where I use to live to buy some sweets to take with me..............four blackjacks for 1d, barley sugar stick for 3d and a bag of sherbert cystals 3d.

Whenever you went in the Star pictures it always smelt of Hotdogs.

JOHN HABS

Hi Given are you in contact with any of the names mentioned i'm in contact with Albert Price he now lives in the Mansfield area like myself he is just recovering from the Big C but has just recently been given the all clear i would very much like to get back in touch with Ray Price who was a very good school pal plus like Albert also a work mate you are asking for more names here goes Eric & Paul Mangle ,Bob Hobson,the Denalls,the Williamson family off Bishop st Bill Brown,Steve Marsh,the Paramore's,Pete & John (rip) Carnell,Rog Kay,the Higginbottoms,Don Wainwright ,Pat Critchlow,Eric Moles Ronnie Dewsnap,the Orwin twins Tony & Pete,Jean Hancock,Pam Clark,Kath Fowler,Linda Batty,Elaine Dewsnap,Gloria Bailey,Gordan Godley,Stewart Fell (rip)i know a few more but the old single finger typing gets tiring get back to me if you remember any of the names mentioned where abouts in the area did you live i came off the bottom end of Clarence st went to St Silas then Greystones does anyone remember my DAD he used to go round collecting SWILL from all around the area for the pigs we kept on a smallholding in the Meadowhead area he always had a pocket full of Dolly Mixtures to give to the kids if they brought any swill to the lorry the smallholding was owned by my Grandad that lived on Hodgson st any feed back would be most grateful :help: .

Hi i remember some of the names you mention especially Abert Price did he use to live in club garden area,ask him if he rembers me June Vaughan send him my best wishes.Also Stewart Fell,i think his mum use to work at the hanover pub on hanover st. Judith Woodbine who was my friend lived there. We always went to the star cinema on saturdays. good old days.xxx

Ji John Habs, Your poor old mate. Are you allowed to say that. bet you're glad you didn't have to sit behind him. I remember going into Hartleys across the road, (do you remember the Temperance Bar, had two doors) for a glass of Lemon Barley and the barley sugar sticks. He also use to sell tubes of Horlicks tablets and sticks of liquorice root, ( used to last for ages) yum. Bet you can't buy 4 Black Jacks for a penny these days. I think my corner shop sells them for 7p. each. Oh happy days. Jan

Archived