Watching SKY TV in another room..

Hi peeps again

Right- what the hell is a magic eye? what's the difference between that and one these sender-mi-bobs?

And Blades- how much does the guy charge and what does he do?

Thank youuuuuuuuuuu

The magic eye is a remote control extender for sky systems. It plugs into a 2nd co-ax (ariel) cable. To use one of these you'll have to have a length of co-ax cable installed, running from your sky box to the 2nd location that you wish to view from. The magic eye then plugs into this co-ax and your 2nd TV and transmits the remote signals down the cable to your sky box.

You might need to have the 2nd RF port on your sky box enabled, but that is quite easy to do.

So in summary the magic eye needs cabling installing and transmits via said cable.

The AV sender units don't need cables installing between the locations, but do need an extra power point at each location, along with a spare scart socket to connect to (1 on sky box, 1 on remote TV). 2 Types of AV sender are currently on the markey, 2.4Ghz and 5,8Ghz. %.8Ghz gets less interference from DECT phones, wi-fi routers etc.

• 1 year later...
We use a wireless sender receiver. It was £35 from Maplins & has done the trick for years :)

You just have a little box plugged into your sky box, and the receiver plugged into the other TV in another room. You can even use the sky remote in the other room by pointing it at the receiver. Sometimes the reception goes fuzzy when I use the microwave but it's generally good :)

EDIT: This is the one we use. It's only £24.99 now!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44469

The magic eye is a remote control extender for sky systems. It plugs into a 2nd co-ax (ariel) cable. To use one of these you'll have to have a length of co-ax cable installed, running from your sky box to the 2nd location that you wish to view from. The magic eye then plugs into this co-ax and your 2nd TV and transmits the remote signals down the cable to your sky box.

You might need to have the 2nd RF port on your sky box enabled, but that is quite easy to do.

So in summary the magic eye needs cabling installing and transmits via said cable.

The AV sender units don't need cables installing between the locations, but do need an extra power point at each location, along with a spare scart socket to connect to (1 on sky box, 1 on remote TV). 2 Types of AV sender are currently on the markey, 2.4Ghz and 5,8Ghz. %.8Ghz gets less interference from DECT phones, wi-fi routers etc.

You seem rather clued up about all this... could I pick your brain please?

After years of using a wireless sender receiver, it's now a bit tempramental... every time we watch tv in the 'remote' location, we need to fiddle with it for ages so to get rid of crackling noise, and we are fed up with it.

Also, now we have a new smart tv in the lounge (Samsung 6100), which we plug films in on usb...

I was wondering, would we be able to transfer the TV picture (regardless of whether we are watching sky or something off the hard drive) to the 2nd TV somehow?

...Also, now we have a new smart tv in the lounge (Samsung 6100), which we plug films in on usb...

I was wondering, would we be able to transfer the TV picture (regardless of whether we are watching sky or something off the hard drive) to the 2nd TV somehow?

Yes, it certainly is! This link might help you.

If you have a TV which doesn't accept video streams (most don't) you may be able to stream video to it through a Blu-Ray player or alternatively, you could use something like an ASUS O!Play.

I've got an 'O!Play Live' [the HDP-R1]. I think it's the 'bottom of the range' (cheapest) device, but it works very well. I use it either with the built-in wireless connection to my house network or an attached external USB hard drive.

(If you consider getting the model with the built-in hard drive, check it out [see hear one running!] first. - I've read reports which suggest that the fan on the built-in hard drive is a bit noisy.)

If you are going to stream video (particularly full HD) over a wireless network, you may need to upgrade your wireless router to at least Wireless N. (I use dual-band Wireless N and let the ASUS box have priority over the lower band.)

Yes, it certainly is! This link might help you.

If you have a TV which doesn't accept video streams (most don't) you may be able to stream video to it through a Blu-Ray player or alternatively, you could use something like an ASUS O!Play.

I've got an 'O!Play Live' [the HDP-R1]. I think it's the 'bottom of the range' (cheapest) device, but it works very well. I use it either with the built-in wireless connection to my house network or an attached external USB hard drive.

(If you consider getting the model with the built-in hard drive, check it out [see hear one running!] first. - I've read reports which suggest that the fan on the built-in hard drive is a bit noisy.)

If you are going to stream video (particularly full HD) over a wireless network, you may need to upgrade your wireless router to at least Wireless N. (I use dual-band Wireless N and let the ASUS box have priority over the lower band.)

Thank you :)

I will re-read all of the above when I get home and see what I can do...

Archived