Shopping in the seventies

basewell

Hi there,

I was the office manageress of the Western Jean Company which had branches in quite a number of northern cities but was based in Sheffield. It was a forerunner of the denim everlasting story.

There was a seconds outlet called Rockbottom (can't now remember which major road this was on)

Would love to talk to anyone else who remembers any of this era.

Hi Erin,

I think you may be right but I'm struggling to remember the name of the road it was on. I know it wasn't far out of the city centre and it had a large patch of open ground to the right of it which was used as a car park. I used to live in Chelsea Road in Brincliffe and I know it was about a 10 minute drive from there.

WJC also had a (proper) shop on the main shopping street (again I forget the name of it - woud that have been Fargate?) and the logo on the outside was an American spread eagle - I only remember this because I did the artwork for it!

I'll look in my old records and tell you when I find the name of the streets.

In the meantime, many thanks for your response and I look forward to talking to you again.

Regards,

Bette

I do remember the shop you mention im pretty sure it was on fargate. The background to the WJC logo being red? That was great artwork by the way.

I was thinking about the warehouse mentioned on Gleadless road it did fit the description you mention. The carpark later became a small metal fabrication company. The only problem is another company springs to mind called "Bronx clothing" that might have used that same warehouse. Sorry to confuse things, old age lol.

Hi there,

I've been racking my brain to think of the name of the major road the Rockbotom shop was on - wasn't there an Eccleshall Road which went into the city?

Sorry don't know of the Bronx clothing you mention - must have been after my time!

Do you know if Chelsea Road in Brincliffe ever got the restriction lifted on making the houses into apartments? As I said, I used to live at No 62 and we got the house cheap in the mid 70's because even though it was 5 bedrooms on 4 floors, you were prohibited from making the property into bedsits because of some council ruling. That was fine by us because we had absolutely no intention of renting out any part of it.

When I was in Sheffield, before I worked for the WJC, I worked for Spear & Jackson as secretary to the MD for a couple of years, then worked for David Mellor who was a silversmith/goldsmith/industrial designer. I had just the best time of my life in Sheffield!

Hope to hear from you again soon!

Regards,

Bette

Historical Association Sheffield Branch

Mrs P. J. Carlson 18 Chelsea Road Sheffield S11 9BR

Phone:0114 255 1445

bcarlson@lineone.net

Found this, perhaps a call might answer your question. By coincidence to this there was a history teacher called mrs Carlson at king ecgberts school Dore. I wonder if its the same person. I came across no 62 (just google your old addresss) it sold in 2008 for £620.000. perhaps you should have kept it lol.

The last time i was in that area was at the next road (Brentwood) in the 1990s there is a tennis club (courts) near the top of that road. I do seem to recall seeing the odd house with multiple bell pushes outside so guess some were flats. With this being the next road i presume same or similar regs.

Archived