Save our Nimrod

Given that the maritime roles of the Nimrod included dropping and running sonobuoys and dropping Lindholme gear in Search & Rescue operations, it's difficult to see how a drone could do that.

The Nimrod is based on an old airframe - but the first Nimrod flew in 1967 (after the first Harrier, which too was based on an older aircraft - the Kestrel.)

The P3 Orion is no spring chicken - in fact, it's a few years older than the Nimrod.

Perhaps the real question is not "What will replace the Nimrod MR2?" but "Will there be a replacement for the Nimrod MR2?"

In reverse order: The Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest) was built by Martin Bormann and given as a present by the State to Hitler on his 50th birthday. It was hardly his 'summer residence' - in fact, he only visited the place about 10 times and the average stay was 30 minutes. (Which is probably why it wasn't demolished at the end of the war.) It's now a privately-owned restaurant and is NOT a museum.

I'll give you your other points, but Hitlers residence in Berchtesgarten was called the Berghof which was a totally different place from the 'Eagle's Nest'

I remember the R&R place near the Cheimsee, but I'm sure there was another R&R place near Berchtesgarten with a golf course. Maybe I'm mistaken, it was nearly 20 years ago that I was there.

EDIT: I looked it up. This is the place I was thinking of - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Walker_Hotel

I'll give you your other points, but Hitlers residence in Berchtesgarten was called the Berghof which was a totally different place from the 'Eagle's Nest'

I remember the R&R place near the Cheimsee, but I'm sure there was another R&R place near Berchtesgarten with a golf course. Maybe I'm mistaken, it was nearly 20 years ago that I was there.

EDIT: I looked it up. This is the place I was thinking of - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Walker_Hotel

You are of course correct. The Berghof no longer exists and hasn't done so [apart from the back wall] since it was bombed in 1944. It was demolished completely in 1952/3. The Platterhof (which became the "General Walker') was demolished in 2000 and the combined site is now the bus station, document centre and a new hotel.

Kehlsteinhaus was given to Hitler for his 50th birthday - but as I said, he only went there a few times. It's now a restaurant. The Germans are (perhaps understandably) a bit sensitive about anything connected with the 3rd Reich. Those buildings which weren't destroyed were usually renovated beyond recognition and any Nazi adornments (including Eagles) were usually removed or defaced. (Perhaps the most prominent exception is Rommel's house near Ulm, which is preserved as a museum - but then again, he is remembered for his prowess as a general and as a victim of the Nazis.)

From your link, The General Walker was closed in 95 (I thought it had closed earlier than that? - We were thinking of using one of the AFRC resorts for a holiday in the mid-80s and the only two on offer then were Chiemsee and the General Patton in Ga-P [replaced by the Edelweiß in 2004] )

There were - until fairly recently - a number of very small US R&R facilities in Bavaria; most are now operated by German companies (so they're quite a bit cheaper ;))

Thank you for the 'nudge'. - My brother in law is staying with me at the moment (well, he will be when he gets back from side-trip to Venice) and he wants to go to the Eagle's Nest. I'd told him that Hitler seldom used the place, but now I can tell him that if he wants to go to the Berghof it's where you park and catch the bus to the Kehlsteinhaus. :hihi:

(I don't suppose we'll be going up that mountain anyway. - There's snow at about the 2500 ft level and I expect the road will be closed.)

Archived