Scrapping the Armed Forces

On Radio 4's Today show yesterday a woman was going on about how we need to "project our presence" across the world and "intervene".

Maybe if we didn't project our presence and stick our noses in where its not wanted we wouldn't be in such a state. Try intervening in a drunken brawl on the streets on a Saturday night and see where it gets you.

My previous entries on this post may have come across a little unstructured, and I apologise for that. Yesterday, I'd had a particularly bad day health-wise, those of you who know me will understand the cause.

My main concerns, and I do agree that we could trim the armed forces (Though mainly at the top of the tree - too many Chiefs and not enough Indians) are that the aircraft carrier Ark Royal, along with its Harrier aircraft, is being decommissioned, leaving us with one ‘carrier’ for the next ten years that will only carry helicopters.

I would rather, than have any new carrier in operation, have no carriers at all for the next ten years, surely that would be more cost effective?

My worry is that an unimagined conventional threat may emerge in five, ten, or twenty years, which Britain will no longer have the military resources to meet.

My previous entries on this post may have come across a little unstructured, and I apologise for that. Yesterday, I'd had a particularly bad day health-wise, those of you who know me will understand the cause.

My main concerns, and I do agree that we could trim the armed forces (Though mainly at the top of the tree - too many Chiefs and not enough Indians) are that the aircraft carrier Ark Royal, along with its Harrier aircraft, is being decommissioned, leaving us with one ‘carrier’ for the next ten years that will only carry helicopters.

I would rather, than have any new carrier in operation, have no carriers at all for the next ten years, surely that would be more cost effective?

My worry is that an unimagined conventional threat may emerge in five, ten, or twenty years, which Britain will no longer have the military resources to meet.

Just what happened in 1914.

On Radio 4's Today show yesterday a woman was going on about how we need to "project our presence" across the world and "intervene".

Maybe if we didn't project our presence and stick our noses in where its not wanted we wouldn't be in such a state. Try intervening in a drunken brawl on the streets on a Saturday night and see where it gets you.

Hopefully the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan will have taught our politicians a lesson they won't forget in a hurry and the one good thing about the defence cuts is that in future such military adventures will be impossible.

In the future, if something like the Falklands conflict was to re-emerge, what would we have to defend it with?

We couldn't rapidly deploy our depleted forces en-masse, like we did historically.

We now have neither have the hardware, nor manpower, to react to such a perceived threat.

Argentina has recently asked the U.N. to broker talks on the Falkland Islands future. And there is no wonder, it all comes down to the black stuff.

Argentinian claims will intensify if large deposits of oil are found – geologists estimate that up to 60bn barrels of oil and gas could lie in Falklands waters, putting the region on a par with the North Sea.

I, for one, know where this will lead if the 60bn barrels estimate is proven. After all, Sovereignty over the islands is still claimed by both London and Buenos Aires.

So, hypothetically, for the moment - Argentina invade the Falklands again in 2011, what's our next move given the recent defence cuts?

Archived