Your First Car ?

Well, though I passed my test in 1990, I think I still qualify for the thread with my first... erm, 'car'.

1977 vintage, Pug 504 diesel innards (Wiki is wrong :huh:), no power steering, the aerodynamics of a Welsh dresser and the turning radius of the Ark Royal. But learning to drive was oh so much fun (I had learned and did the test in an AX, talk about contrast :gag:)

...t'was better than walking, anyway, and you never look a gift horse in the mouth :D

I inherited a Triumph Toledo.It was a pile of stuff. It had a habit of suddenly going sideways for no good reason! You can tell how bad it was when I actually CHOSE to replace it with a Morris Marina! Quite quick in a straight line but didn't much like corners. Or even slight bends,really. It always had a good crop of mushrooms growing under the passenger seat though,which came in handy for Sunday morning fry-up!

My first car was a red and white Citreon 2CV. It did 70mph - down hill on the motorway with the wind behind you. It had lovely little windows that lifted up from the bottom and you could prop them up on the wing mirrors. The soft top could be flipped open whilst you stood at traffic lights and held in place by large press studs. Its seats were as comfy as a suite from Pondsfords. It cornered nicely very nearly going on 2 wheels on the bends.

It was very light on petrol - but heavy on WD40 when trying to get the bugger started on cold damp mornings!

Ok smartarse... Yes it was! I was merely trying to use some kind of made up Anglo/Germanic language so lesser intellectuals on SF may have got a gist of the meaning! :P

The "full" German version of the sticker certainley seemed to carry a certain kudos amongst the greener motoring fraternity. I often wondered if the antithesis to it was a 2.8 Capri driving around somewhere with a sunvisor bearing the ledgend "Atomkrafte-Ja Bitte"

Passed my test in 1961. My dad bought a blue Morris mini it to share between, my mother, my brother and myself, cant remember the number plate except that it was a B reg. That was in 1961.

Being a bit pedantic but 'B' reg didn't come out till 1964.

passed my test early 70s. at the time I owned a reliant regal , having driven this for some time ,when I decided to take driving lessons to get a full licence my instructor was sure someone was winding him up because I was so confident having driven the reliant and held motorcycle licence for years. my first "proper car " was an austin a 30 which cost me £5!!

Archived