Your First Car ?

passed my test early 70s. at the time I owned a reliant regal , having driven this for some time ,when I decided to take driving lessons to get a full licence my instructor was sure someone was winding him up because I was so confident having driven the reliant and held motorcycle licence for years. my first "proper car " was an austin a 30 which cost me £5!!

I was the same I drove Reliants on the motorbike licence and took just two lessons before passing my test first time, the instructor said he didn't have to teach me to drive, just how to pass my test.

The "full" German version of the sticker certainley seemed to carry a certain kudos amongst the greener motoring fraternity. I often wondered if the antithesis to it was a 2.8 Capri driving around somewhere with a sunvisor bearing the ledgend "Atomkrafte-Ja Bitte"

Ironc really as the 2CV ceased production due to emission regulations and the poor working conditions of the mainly foreign workers! :|

mine was a.....morris marina coupe,white with a thin red pinstripe iv a picture somwhere,i hated parting with it,never let me down once,always the same mot problem,ball joints!!fixed them myself one year,took me an age!!

hit a ton on tinsley viaduct once,when i told my dad,he took the keys,cracked both lugholes,and said "enjoy going to work on the bus for the next 4 weeks thickhead!!" and gave me a long lecture on the dangers of speed.

my coupe NEVER hit the ton again!!

mine was a.....morris marina coupe,white with a thin red pinstripe iv a picture somwhere,i hated parting with it,never let me down once,always the same mot problem,ball joints!!fixed them myself one year,took me an age!!

hit a ton on tinsley viaduct once,when i told my dad,he took the keys,cracked both lugholes,and said "enjoy going to work on the bus for the next 4 weeks thickhead!!" and gave me a long lecture on the dangers of speed.

my coupe NEVER hit the ton again!!

It's a good job there are no corners on the Tinsley viaduct (see #43)

Archived