Whos Watching the spending review?

Watched the whole thing from start to finish. I think Osborne's speeches at the beginning and end were excellent.

Health and education spending to rise - one would hope that efficiency and value for money will increase too.

As a low income family with 3 children I feel reassured; for example because the child element of tax credits is to rise a little. Overall I think it seems very fair. I was happy to accept the freeze in Child Benefit but the small tax credit rise makes up for some of what will be lost there.

The only area where I have slight concerns is defence - but have to admit that's only because I don't really understand it all enough or have a strong opinion one way or the other.

Your working tax credit will be frozen for three years. The childcare element of it will be cut by 12.5%. Working hours required will be upped to 24 hours.

Your working tax credit will be frozen for three years. The childcare element of it will be cut by 12.5%. Working hours required will be upped to 24 hours.

Did he not also say there would be an increase of £30 (per annum?) over inflation? The childcare element does not apply to us because we don't pay a childcare provider but I can imagine that cut will hit some people hard. 12.5% of a £1200 a month bill (which ours was at one point) is quite a lot to have to absorb!

EDIT - here's the bit I meant... * The child element of the Child Tax Credit will be increased by £30 in 2011/12 and £50 in 2012/13 above indexation, meaning annual increases of £180 and then £110 above the level promised by Labour

Those history-making budget "cuts" in full:

Total public spending 2008/9 £621bn

2009/10 £669bn

2010/11 £697bn

2014/15 £740bn.

The Greeks are probably peeing themselves right about now.

As Terry Thomas would say, "what a shower, what an absolute shower!"

Did he not also say there would be an increase of £30 (per annum?) over inflation? The childcare element does not apply to us because we don't pay a childcare provider but I can imagine that cut will hit some people hard. 12.5% of a £1200 a month bill (which ours was at one point) is quite a lot to have to absorb!

EDIT - here's the bit I meant... * The child element of the Child Tax Credit will be increased by £30 in 2011/12 and £50 in 2012/13 above indexation, meaning annual increases of £180 and then £110 above the level promised by Labour

So the £1200 element will be reduced to £1050.

The other element will increase by £30 to ? and £50(+£20?) to?.

So -£120 in 2011/12 and £-100 in 2012/13...

STAY AT HOME MOTHERS

Previously a stereotype, now it is an order.

£1200 is a very large childcare bill. But people with 3 preschool age children who both work would have a monthly bill like that. Previously I think Tax Credits paid up to 85% of the childcare costs so obviously depending on the size of a household's overall income and their childcare bill it will affect people differently.

Archived