Sweet Factory Shrewsbury Road

Maureen

I'm fascinated by all these memories of The Old Sweet (Spice ) Factory - if anyone has any more memories - or even photos I'd really love to hear from you - I'm going to produce a little book about its varied history- it was a school first then a brush factory then an artists studio ( Charles Green who made the font in the cathedral!) and later Dixons ........ its got a whole new life now as we're going to live in it - its a lovely place and shouldn't be left empty!
How exciting, I'm so jealous, I always wanted to live there. But when it was empty last time, we enquired and were told it was only allowed to be used as offices.

I drove past today and it was still To Let, came back about an hour later and the sign had been taken down! I hope you're really happy there!

ETA: this is another thread about it, maybe something for your book in there, too :)

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=222649&highlight=Sweet+Factory

yes I think I'm even jealous of myself ! Can't quite beleive it! It has amazing views over the city and even though its so near the station and trams a real sense of peace inside - probably what appealed to Charles Green! Anyway some work to be done but it will be fun - If we are organised enough I think it would be good to throw open the doors sometime during architecture week - I took the to let signs down in the rain today and lots of people stopped to say how much they love the building- I love the description of the sugar being stretched out under the windows- I had seen the other mention of it thanks! I have a picture taken in the 50s before the other houses were demolished - the cobbled road at the back , the side path and the wall ar all exactly the same - theres a young boy standing on the corner- I wonder where he is now?

Archived