Conservatives to make under 35s live in tiny rooms in shared houses (HMOs)

The SSR LHA rate was previously 25. Anybody under 25 and out of work or on a low income, could get this form of housing benefit to pay for a room in a shared house.

Anybody under 25 was deemed unworthy of a 1 bed flat.

This unworthiness will be extended childless people up to the age of 35.

BTL landlords can now maximise rental yield by converting 2+ bed houses into HMOs.

Below are the current WEEKLY Sheffield rental rates for LHA, the monthly amount are shown in brackets and weekly increase if converted into a HMO in bold...

Shared accommodation - £65.00 (£281.67) FOR CHILDLESS UNDER 35s

1 Bedroom accommodation - £94.36 (£408.89)

2 Bedroom accommodation - £113.92 (£493.65)

2 bed HMO £130 +16.08pw (£563.34)

3 Bedroom accommodation - £120.82 (£523.55)

3 bed HMO £185 +64.18pw (£845.01)

4 Bedroom accommodation - £155.34 (£673.14)

4 bed HMO £260 +104.66pw (£1126.68 )

5 Bedroom accommodation - £224.38 (£972.31)

5 bed HMO £325 +100.62pw (£1408.35)

6 bed HMO £390, +165.62pw

I'd love to know where you got the 6 bed rate from

6 * SSR of £65 = £390, +165.62pw compared to the 5 bed rate ;)

In Sheffield we are at least lucky to have some shared accomodation available. But is there enough shared accomodation available to house those this will make homeless? Where will students live? In London realistically the only places available at the rates they have set will be in hostels and I don't think there are anywhere near enough of them either.

Maybe we will start to see shanty towns being built up out of corrugated iron to decorate our inner cities?

Alternatively, GO OUT AND GET A JOB, then pay for your own accommodation.

That's going to get a bit tough when about 500,000 more people are unemployed in a year or two. What the Tories and their cheer leadeers are conveniently forgetting is that most people on benefits aren't scroungers or fraudsters. They are the inevitable result of there being more workers than theire is work. Furthermore, when all this takes it's toll on the private sector, as it inevitably will, there will be a lot of people - some of whom attribute the fact they have always been in employment to some innate sense of superiority - who will get a rude awakening as to the random and uncontrollable effects of economic recession.

So its not an LHA rate then its just a multiple of £65

. Bear in mind that its likely the 5 bed rate will soon be gone

It is the LHA potential rate if you convert your property to a HMO.

The jist of my post is that housing benefit will yield more rent to the landlord if a property is letted as a HMO to people claiming SSR (the under 35s).

With high demand for houses and not enough to go around, I forsee a city where people are crammed into houses due to a lack of social housing (and now increased prices of it).

There is a financial incentive to provide HMO accommodation.

I see an increased amount of HB expenditure, being spent on less properties.

It is the LHA potential rate if you convert your property to a HMO.

The jist of my post is that housing benefit will yield more rent to the landlord if a property is letted as a HMO to people claiming SSR (the under 35s).

With high demand for houses and not enough to go around, I forsee a city where people are crammed into houses due to a lack of social housing (and now increased prices of it).

There is a financial incentive to provide HMO accommodation.

I see an increased amount of HB expenditure, being spent on less properties.

I did realise that after you pointed it out but it seems a touch misleading to say its an actual rate

In Sheffield we are at least lucky to have some shared accomodation available. But is there enough shared accomodation available to house those this will make homeless? Where will students live? In London realistically the only places available at the rates they have set will be in hostels and I don't think there are anywhere near enough of them either.

Maybe we will start to see shanty towns being built up out of corrugated iron to decorate our inner cities?

I want to know how many under 35s we have whom aspired to a 1 bed flat bidding unsuccessfully via Sheffield Homes, who'll now have to drop aspirations to a shared room in a shared house.

I want to know that number as they will likely opt to live in a HMO rather than wait for years for a 1 bed flat via Sheffield Homes.

Shanty towns IMO would be a welcome addition, where people are not exploited to pay the rent.

You no longer need planning permission to convert a house to HMO. HMO's will become increasingly popular tenure in Sheffield.

I am of the opinion that man should improve the condition of man, and one way of doing this is to increase living space. Not to cram people into less houses at greater expense.

Some economic migrants might cram as many in as possible to a house to save money, but they only do so short term.

We need to build more, not turn houses into HMOs.

I did realise that after you pointed it out but it seems a touch misleading to say its an actual rate

You own a 6 bedroom house and plan to let it (because nobody can afford a mortgage). You can let it for the 5 bed rate, or SSR*6 for £165+ per week compared to the 5 bed rate.

Many people (the under 35s whom are unemployed or on a low income) are only entitled to SSR benefit, and there is a shortage of it available in the local housing market compared to their vast numbers.

What do you do?

Archived