Conservatives to make under 35s live in tiny rooms in shared houses (HMOs)

The biggest problem with it hit me as soon as I saw this in the spending review. There are a lot of people who can't work and can't reasonably share either. I'm talking about people with mental health problems or with Autism who are capable of living by themselves but can't cope with sharing their space with others. A lot of those people need their own space, and in the case of people with Autism can't tolerate interference with their living space by others. Someone with full-on bipolar disorder is likely to struggle around flatmates unless they are particularly understanding. But now we are saying they have to live with their parents until they are 35? Really?

Given that the shared room rate applies only in private rented, it will just put more pressure on social housing which is already in woefully short supply.

Like a lot of these cuts, this just ends up being a nasty attack on ill and disabled people.

New social housing tenents will now pay more too :|

100% of RTB receipts will go to the government instead of 75% of previously.

Housebuilding will fall, HMOs prosper.

Not to my knowledge. Any house can be determined a HiMO it all depends on the tenancies rather than the property

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/8459656.Court_rejects_bedsit_law_re_think/

Last month, the Government changed planning laws to allow homeowners to convert properties into shared homes – known as houses of multiple occupation (HMOs) – without planning permission.

But the city council joined with other authorities to challenge the move, arguing the Government had not carried out the correct consultation.

However, a High Court judge has ruled in the Government’s favour.

Today, the government has condemned under 35s to being housed in HMOs.

They are not putting one PAST ME.

I was unaware of that. Maybe theres a different definition for benefits of HiMO. Or possibly it means that previously if you bought a massive house and then converted it you did need planning permission. From a council tax point of view any property can be a HiMO it just needs to be designated as such

New social housing tenents will now pay more too :|

100% of RTB receipts will go to the government instead of 75% of previously.

Housebuilding will fall, HMOs prosper.

I agree that the Tories seem determined to reinvent the slums of the 1920s and '30s. Give it 5 to 10 years and anyone in Sheffield unlucky enough (or ill enough) to be out of work will find themselves living in a slum in Page Hall or Tinsley or Darnall

How will this affect students? They don't get housing benefit, do they?

It's more likely to affect their landlords who can apply the same model across the rest of town.

However, during the summer vacation all the HMOs might get filled up by the under 35 doleys and shop workers.

The students will have to rent in an expensive area like parkhill for example :hihi:

:o

Archived