Snowchains-any good?

It's common on the continent to have a 2nd set of wheels with winter tyres on them as well, it's unknown here in the UK.

Probably because last year I drove about 200 yards on snow. In the entire year.

I drove with snow around more, but the only road I saw that hadn't been cleared was my side road and for one morning the slightly larger Walkley Lane (so I just didn't drive that day).

And last year was particularly bad.

Just got our winter tyres in, getting fitted to a set of steelies any day now, best way forward (won't bend the alloys in the event of a kerb-collision either!)

I've been looking at these Auto Socks for a few years now and still at the price of £50 a set I am indecided as to whether they will work. I am sure I could make a set out of material and use a sewing machine though!!

Anyone got any? Do they work?

I had a look at the demo videos and they did appear to work well, even when the test driver locked the back wheels, the customer reviews are also good, although I'm also a bit sceptical- it seems impossible that a bit of fabric wrapped around your tyres will get you out of a tight spot!

I have a pair - the Autosocks are easier to fit than my snowchains, but then again they are not as good. They coped with 90% of what we had last winter - I only needed the chains to drive through the Kintail Pass in Scotland.

But then again I live in Leeds so what do I know.

You can only use snow chains when their is a firm covering of snow on the road, of the type that you might see for about a week every year in the UK. And then only on the side roads.

You can't just leave them on as you get onto a main road which has been cleared, it damages the road and your tyres.

And your eye sockets and teeth.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a pair of Autosock - 2 mins to fit and very efficient.

Also have a pair of winter tyres on the car now - fitted today. £60 a corner for Hankook Icebear

I live just outside Sheffield near Holmfirth so will become very useful!!

Archived