Chess at The Lyceum

busybeeshane

What are your opinions on this version of chess on at the lyceum?

I went last night with the boyfriend and it was a truly fantastic show. The vocals were genuinely fantastic. In particular, the character of Anatoly, played by Daniel Koek. I don't usually enjoy male voices but his voice was so incredibly round and smooth.

I have to admit, i couldnt understand a lot of what was being sung by certain performers but the production as a whole was second to none.

The staging was exciting and enticing. Costumes were fabulous and extremely sexy!!!

As a gay man..I was often looking at the half naked men but I found myself staring at the Black Queen a lot as she looked like queen Latifa and was stunning.

The lady playing FLorence seemed to struggle with the high notes in the first act but in the second act she was truly flawless.

The Anthem reprise that she did for the finale was nigh on perfect. Her duet with Svetlana of I know him so well really showed me what that song was about and it fit perfectly into the story!!

Sorry bout it being long winded...

Just really got me going

xxx

Excellent to hear your review of Chess, busybeeshane. I probably won't have the time/money to go to this this time round; looks like I will be missing a real treat. Worth going for the Black Queen alone!

BTW, the game of chess seems to be doing the rounds slightly more in recent months; there was a 2-part programme on Radio 4; and I'm starting to play the game again for the first time in 20 years at Access Space Games Night (every Tuesday, the computer place opposite Rutland Arms). I even challenged a few people to a game at the Alternative Pride event at a community centre in Leeds during Leeds Pride.

Would you or any others you know be interested in joining/setting up a Gay Chess group, to play the game at a weekly meeting in one of the local bars?

Archived