What's this thing in the sky

Well, it's strange how things are pronounced ...

The 'e' in 'Penny' is pronounced differently to the 'e' in 'Scenic'. That (I am told) is because of the double n.

Where does Penistone road go to?

Somebody told me recently that the name of a small town a few miles away in Austria - a town which causes much hilarity amongst English speakers - isn't really funny, because the letter 'u' after the initial F isn't pronounced like the 'u' in 'Luck' but rather like the double o in 'Look'.

I expect most people on this forum would pronounce it like the double o in 'Look' - well, those who were rude enough to say the name would.

For the record, it is not pronounced to rhyme with "your anus." It's pronounced to rhyme (almost) with "urinous," which isn't a whole lot better.
Both are acceptable as 'your anus' is closer to the ancient greek pronunciation

As for the object, it is indeed Jupiter. Here's a print-screen a took not more than 5 minutes ago...

http://i.imgur.com/Lp5eK.jpg

You need good eyesight and clear skies to spot it, as well as knowing exactly where to look. I'll have another shot tonight, since I've never been able to pick it out...

The one I've seen is very bright, not hard to see at all. I've seen it a lot. I think its always in the same place, so assumed it was man-made.

The one I've seen is very bright, not hard to see at all. I've seen it a lot.

Crossed wires, I think. Jupiter's very easy to spot, as is Venus when it's in the appropriate place. Uranus is just barely visible to someone with good eyesight - which is why it wasn't realised to be a planet until the 1780s. Everyone who spotted it before then just assumed it was a rather faint, boring star.

The one I've seen is very bright, not hard to see at all. I've seen it a lot. I think its always in the same place, so assumed it was man-made.

i thought it as a satelite or space station or something like that.

its always there and is always visible and very bright, on a clear night obviously.

looks like it is indeed jupiter though, from [matt]s information. thats exactly the position i see it in every night.

Archived