Should we abolish the Working tax credit for under 35s

Should we abolish the Working tax credit for under 35s?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should we abolish the Working tax credit for under 35s?

• Yes, they don't need it, much like under 25s
    • No, they do need it, they are over 25
    • We should abolish it for all
    • Everyone should get it regardless of age

The SSR previously was the cap on housing benefit for under 25s, the cap has been extended for the under 35s to match the housing aspirations of under 35s.

If under 35s aspire to live in HMO properties, like their under 25 counterparts.

Then surely they don't need as much money, much like the under 25s. Should we abolish the working tax credit for under 35s to match the income they need to fulfil their housing aspirations.

The SSR previously was the cap on housing benefit for under 25s, the cap has been extended for the under 35s to match the housing aspirations of under 35s.

If under 35s aspire to live in HMO properties, like their under 25 counterparts.

Then surely they don't need as much money, much like the under 25s. Should we abolish the working tax credit for under 35s to match the income they need to fulfil their housing aspirations.

Can you please explain SSR and HMO? I'm not too sure what a 'working tax credit' is either, but I can look that up myself.

Can you please explain SSR and HMO? I'm not too sure what a 'working tax credit' is either, but I can look that up myself.

SSR = SRR Silly typo on my behalf sorry (Shared room rate) is an age based housing benefit cap of the new housing benefit called LHA (Local Housing Allowance).

HMO is House in Multiple Occupancy, essentially a Victorian style tenement.

As someone who hasn't been able to ever successfully claim any benefits, despite working from being 14, I don't see why anyone needs working tax credits, especially when you are young enough to work two or more jobs... I don't believe in the extra tax you have to pay for your 2nd job though! You should be taxed the same for a first and a second job, not extra for having to work twice as hard! Til I was 30 I always had a least two jobs, and occasionally three...

Archived