Sigh! More southeast centralisation of the Sciences..

So we're gonna get a UK Centre for Medical Research and Innovation which is doubtless a good thing. The government is even dipping into it's cash strapped back pocket and funding it to the tune of 250 million - also a good thing (well in my book anyway!) However they are going to stick this lovely new institute right in the middle of London.

Firstly - is the best way to get the maximum bang for your buck to place your new institute in the one place where it is most expensive to buy land, build and where you have to pay london weighting to your staff.

Secondly - what is this obsession with centralising science and research in the south east. We have the EBI and Sangar centres just outside Cambridge which pretty much suck up all the biosciences research. We have the Rutherford Appleton labs just outside Oxford which sucks up all the physical sciences research and incidently took over from Daresbury as the big synchrotron source in the UK. And now this Centre for Medical Research and Innovation.

Surely it would be advantagous to the economy of the UK in general and the regionsin particular to spread some of this reasearch out a little more?

London will always prosper under theTories. That is what Tories do. I guess that the only consolation we have is that Thatcher will soon be dead.

Hardly - the money was promised by Brown under the last Labour government. The centralising urge is a general political thing certainly not restricted to any given party...

It's a mistake in my book too. You could set up an identical centre for much less cost elsewhere in the country and that would benefit the local economy of wherever youset it up too.

I suppose if you can choose to set it up anywhere and you believe that one corner of the country is actually the centre then that's what you choose to do because it's what you've always done before.

London's just going to get more and more glamorous under the CONDEMNED, isn't it?

Especially when all those families who rely on housing benefit move up north.

That would be really something! All the foreigners would complain that the Sotherners were taking all their houses!:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived