Sigh! More southeast centralisation of the Sciences..

It's a mistake in my book too. You could set up an identical centre for much less cost elsewhere in the country and that would benefit the local economy of wherever youset it up too.

I suppose if you can choose to set it up anywhere and you believe that one corner of the country is actually the centre then that's what you choose to do because it's what you've always done before.

It depends who is going to use it-as science centres tend to attract people from all over the world London makes much more sense than anywhere else as it operates direct flights everywhere.

Birmingham 2005?

Beg pardon?

Really? - You do surprise me!

per Daft Ada: "Especially when all those families who rely on housing benefit move up north."

What happened in 2005 when a significant number of Pakistanis moved into Birmingham and took jobs from the (earlier) Afro-Caribbean immigrants? Was it 'sweetness and light' or was there a little friction?

What do you think will happen if a significant number of jobless people are transferred from their jobless accommodation to jobless accommodation in Sheffield (if there is any) and are in competition with significant numbers of jobless people in Sheffield looking for jobs?

How many more car washes can Sheffield support?

I'm an habitual immigrant. I've been an immigrant (somewhere or other) since I was 18.

Sheffield already has plenty of immigrants and from my (albeit limited) experience of the city, it's got a bunch of talented, well-motivated immigrants who are prepared to do whatever it takes to make a go of their new life. The city may well have more than its share of crooked arseholes, but it doesn't lack talented, well-motivated immigrants. Those people are unlikely (IMO) to welcome a bunch of jobless immigrants.

How many more can you take?

If -as a result of reductions in the burden on the taxpayer - Sheffield gets significant numbers of people who find that the state is no longer willing to pay for their expensive lifestyle in the smoke - do you think you are going to get the cream of the crop? Do you think you are going to be inundated by skilled businessmen? Or are you going to get a bunch of low-skilled, low-aspiration people who are going to compete for housing and jobs?

What happens when you get two groups of under-achieving minorities in competition for limited criminal gain and even more limited job opportunities?

Do you really expect somebody like Bamber Gascoigne (far smarter than blackballs Paxman) to debate the matter?

Or is there a possibility of friction?

It won't be racism (Whitey won't be involved, so it can't be racism.)

What happened in Birmingham in 2005?

Really? - You do surprise me!

per Daft Ada: "Especially when all those families who rely on housing benefit move up north."

What happened in 2005 when a significant number of Pakistanis moved into Birmingham and took jobs from the (earlier) Afro-Caribbean immigrants? Was it 'sweetness and light' or was there a little friction?

What do you think will happen if a significant number of jobless people are transferred from their jobless accommodation to jobless accommodation in Sheffield (if there is any) and are in competition with significant numbers of jobless people in Sheffield looking for jobs?

How many more car washes can Sheffield support?

I'm an habitual immigrant. I've been an immigrant (somewhere or other) since I was 18.

Sheffield already has plenty of immigrants and from my (albeit limited) experience of the city, it's got a bunch of talented, well-motivated immigrants who are prepared to do whatever it takes to make a go of their new life. The city may well have more than its share of crooked arseholes, but it doesn't lack talented, well-motivated immigrants. Those people are unlikely (IMO) to welcome a bunch of jobless immigrants.

How many more can you take?

If -as a result of reductions in the burden on the taxpayer - Sheffield gets significant numbers of people who find that the state is no longer willing to pay for their expensive lifestyle in the smoke - do you think you are going to get the cream of the crop? Do you think you are going to be inundated by skilled businessmen? Or are you going to get a bunch of low-skilled, low-aspiration people who are going to compete for housing and jobs?

What happens when you get two groups of under-achieving minorities in competition for limited criminal gain and even more limited job opportunities?

Do you really expect somebody like Bamber Gascoigne (far smarter than blackballs Paxman) to debate the matter?

Or is there a possibility of friction?

It won't be racism (Whitey won't be involved, so it can't be racism.)

What happened in Birmingham in 2005?

Fascinating as all that might be, what's it got to do with the topic in hand?

It depends who is going to use it-as science centres tend to attract people from all over the world London makes much more sense than anywhere else as it operates direct flights everywhere.

Thats rather a circular argument though isn't it? London opperates more flights to everywhere, so we'll locate things that migh call for international connections there, so then we can collect all our long haul opperations in London, so then anything that might need international conections has to be in London...

Fascinating as all that might be, what's it got to do with the topic in hand?

Well you were the one who asked the question. Did you actually read my post?

What happened in Birmingham in 2005 when a group of (more highly skilled but unemployed) Pakistani immigrants found themselves in competition with Afro-Caribbeans for limited jobs?

What do you think will happen if significant numbers of people are displaced from more expensive regions to less expensive areas where there is already intense competition for limited jobs?

In the event that a large number of migrants should move to cheaper areas, do you think that those migrants will include significant numbers of successful businessmen (who are going to give up the businesses they have established) or are the recipient areas going to find that they've inherited large numbers of jobless people to add to the queues?

Sheffield has no shortage of immigrants. Sheffield has no shortage of immigrants who have worked very hard to set up a new life for themselves and who have succeeded - in the face of recession and rejection. Nobody gave them special treatment, nobody gave them a special deal. they worked their arses off to get where they are.

Sheffiled is the 4th largest city in the UK. Housing is comparatively cheap. What do YOU think will happen if Sheffield receives a significant number of unemployed people who have fled high priced cities such as London? Will the Sheffield immigrants welcome them with open arms?

You think?

What happened in Birmingham in 2005? (did you Google it yet?)

Well you were the one who asked the question. Did you actually read my post?

Yes - I'm still trying to work out what it has to do with the centralisation of science research institutes in the south east in general and London in particular.

Archived