Raisins in curries.

I make a creamy, mild coconut and tomato-based curry sauce, which is delicious (for those aghast at fruit in curries, Dhansak is tomato based-curry, and tomato is a fruit).

When I go out for a curry, I love peshwari naan, which is a naan bread filled with a nut, apple and raisin paste. It's gorgeous.

That's a good point, the British influence on Indian food shouldn't be underestimated, although I cant think of many British savoury dishes that have fruit in them.

..and turmeric!

There's lots of old British recipes that paired meat with fruit ( or should that be peared? :hihi: )

British Cookery by Caroline Conran is a brilliant treasure trove of old fashioned recipes including lots of Anglo-Indian ones. It's long out of print but easily available via Amazon for very little money.

BTW we used to eat pilchard curry when we were setting up our household and not so well off. I liked it then and it was dirt cheap, but I couldn't eat it now.

Archived