British Muslims biggest funders to the Taliban

"Clinton: While at the same time realizing that there's a lot of other moving parts to this. And the United States, to some extent, has to acknowledge, being among the creators of the problem we are now dealing with. It seemed like a great idea, back in the '80s to-- embolden-- and train and equip-- Taliban, mujahidin, jihadists against the Soviet Union, which had invaded Afghanistan. And with our help, and with the Pakistani support-- this group-- including, at that time, Bin Laden, defeated the Soviet Union. Drove them out of Afghanistan, eventually. Saw the fall of the government that they had installed. And the rest we know. They eventually took over. But when we accomplished our primary mission of seeing the Soviet Union thrown out of Afghanistan, we withdrew. And we left the problems of a well-equipped, fundamentalist, ideological and religious group that had been battle hardened to the Afghans and the Pakistanis."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/06/eveningnews/main5367884.shtml

quoted from an interview with Hilary Clinton last year. Confirming US funded and supported establishment of Taliban.

Estimates of $5billion US dollars in technical assistance during the 80's and a further $3billion during the taliban's resurgence to power in the mid 90's.

In 2001 Colin Powell gave the taliban $43 million of humanitarian aid.

How allegiance can change.

Not really - it is being done in the name of a particular interpretation of their religion. But anyway, there are lots of muslims who condem it, it was more a question about why do people group muslims together in a single group when islam is just as fractured as christianity, and you don't hear one branch of christianity saying that another branch isn't condemning the christian witchcraft killings in africa enough.

Well I agree with everything you say here. Unfortunately a lot of people don't distinguish "the Muslims want this, the Muslims want that". In which case I would advise moderates to make their voice heard though obviously they are not compelled to. In fact moderates condemnation being heard also depends on the media, many of whom don't see boring old moderate Muslims as selling rags. I remember hearing about a leading moderate who was due to issue a fatwa on bombers at the LSE a while back. Have not heard anything since though.

Excuse me? Nice passive aggressive streak you have there.

Oh, and not piffle, absolutely true.

Hey, i was praising you for raising your game and your posts out of the realms of childish nit picking and stirring.

Dont take it the wrong way :)

It may be only you Tatman who sees that side of auto98uk's personality ;)

I doubt it but seeing as i was padding comment on autos posts and npot your maybe it be better for you to concentrate on the subject at hand.

Ill continue on topic also.

"Clinton: While at the same time realizing that there's a lot of other moving parts to this. And the United States, to some extent, has to acknowledge, being among the creators of the problem we are now dealing with. It seemed like a great idea, back in the '80s to-- embolden-- and train and equip-- Taliban, mujahidin, jihadists against the Soviet Union, which had invaded Afghanistan. And with our help, and with the Pakistani support-- this group-- including, at that time, Bin Laden, defeated the Soviet Union. Drove them out of Afghanistan, eventually. Saw the fall of the government that they had installed. And the rest we know. They eventually took over. But when we accomplished our primary mission of seeing the Soviet Union thrown out of Afghanistan, we withdrew. And we left the problems of a well-equipped, fundamentalist, ideological and religious group that had been battle hardened to the Afghans and the Pakistanis."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/06/eveningnews/main5367884.shtml

quoted from an interview with Hilary Clinton last year. Confirming US funded and supported establishment of Taliban.

Estimates of $5billion US dollars in technical assistance during the 80's and a further $3billion during the taliban's resurgence to power in the mid 90's.

In 2001 Colin Powell gave the taliban $43 million of humanitarian aid.

How allegiance can change.

Why did long term thinkers not foresee this? is the question I ask myself.

Ironically the Soviet puppet govt the Mujahadeen wanted to overthrow was far closer to western democracy than anything to come e.g. women were allowed and encouraged to go to school and given the option of veil removal. Reading and writing became popular too. That seventies government also parceled up the land and gave the landless land...that's where the problems started. In an interview on the 'Cold War' series narrated by Kenneth Branagh an Iman said "it is God's will who has land and who does not, not any governments" so this Iman and his friends put it right again by reclaiming all the land for the elite. They then went on to sell poppies for heroin and some Taliban today can be bought easily enough. This is to be remembered when anyone tells you they are a sincere bunch. They are in fact just old fashioned capitalist gangsters.

I doubt it but seeing as i was padding comment on autos posts and npot your maybe it be better for you to concentrate on the subject at hand.

Ill continue on topic also.

You seem to have a fixation with Kay Burley and Sky News, neither being particularly relevant to the subject at hand.

Archived