How many of you voted Conservative and will now lose your jobs??

Well a lot of people paid a heavy price for Thatcher's adherence to New Right and economic liberalist ideologies....we are still living with the effects now.

What I'm saying is that you have to make the best of what you have...no point waiting for others to do it for you...I was in Sheffield all the way through so it's not as if I was in the molly coddled south...

This is what always amazes me about the Tories, their propaganda is so good they manage to convince people to sacrifice their futiures for the good of the economy, Thatcher used the same arguments in the 1980's .. and what was good about that?

I didn't vote to sacrifice my future as you imply, I instead voted for a party which best represented by views and beliefs.

I am however still awaiting news from Labour on what their alternative was to the cuts which have been imposed, all we know so far is they would have been 1% MORE than those imposed by the Conservatives, where is their credible alternative?

In essence I would have gone further than thay did and also looked at money to the European Union and also foreign aid (But thats just me)

As for Lady Thatcher, we can only wish her the bbest during her illness.

Actually, I was in the more 'rural' part of the West Midlands and the situation was terrible. We came to Sheffield in 1990 to escape that recession .. figuring that in a city there would be more opportunites for employment, not just for us, but more importantly our three children .. today I am glad to say they all have a job.

Just as well I didnt get the vote, I'd cut the bloody lot....immigration for a start, I'd delve deep into every single person 1 by 1 on benefits, the councils would be torn apart bit by bit and only those who are neccessary would stay, we now live in an internet world so there's no need for that massive multi million pound building in the centre of town...and I'd get rid of all my bloody perks and stop making us lot pay for them and suffer while I just kept rising...

I didn't vote to sacrifice my future as you imply, I instead voted for a party which best represented by views and beliefs.

I am however still awaiting news from Labour on what their alternative was to the cuts which have been imposed, all we know so far is they would have been 1% MORE than those imposed by the Conservatives, where is their credible alternative?

In essence I would have gone further than thay did and also looked at money to the European Union and also foreign aid (But thats just me)

As for Lady Thatcher, we can only wish her the bbest during her illness.

We all do what we think best. I would have been happier with Labour, as the cuts would have been introduced over a longer period. I would also hope that they would sting the banks rather than the poorest 10% of society. I don't think the private sector will be able to replace the lost public sector jobs, at the end of the day both sectors have a different skill base. ... it takes a long while to train as a probation officier librarian, teacher fireman and policeman - it takes a certain type of person.

We all do what we think best. I would have been happier with Labour, as the cuts would have been introduced over a longer period. I would also hope that they would sting the banks rather than the poorest 10% of society. I don't think the private sector will be able to replace the lost public sector jobs, at the end of the day both sectors have a different skill base. ... it takes a long while to train as a probation offocier, librarian, teacher fireman and policeman

I think the jobs may get replaced over time but not in specific areas, South Yorkshire may well struggle, we just need to hope the cheap land and abundence of labour attracts people.

The banking chnaged are coming out next week and I think they will be made mroe accountable and have to pay their fair share, we can only hope.

Overall the problem is that we are carrying to many people who don't contribute, immigration and long term unemployment has to be addressed in my opinion , people live longer and when you have so many people not contributing but taking from the system these problems will only persist.

One thing Lady Thatcher did was to stop us giving more to Europe than we got out, now that would be a good thing around now

I think the jobs may get replaced over time but not in specific areas, South Yorkshire may well struggle, we just need to hope the cheap land and abundence of labour attracts people.

The banking chnaged are coming out next week and I think they will be made mroe accountable and have to pay their fair share, we can only hope.

Overall the problem is that we are carrying to many people who don't contribute, immigration and long term unemployment has to be addressed in my opinion , people live longer and when you have so many people not contributing but taking from the system these problems will only persist.

One thing Lady Thatcher did was to stop us giving more to Europe than we got out, now that would be a good thing around now

I think the bank levy is about 10 billion over 4 years. Could have been higher, but then a balancing act needs to be done.

Archived