The (Proposed) Bank of England Act

On reading a comment on a newspaper article, I came across the link below. It proposes that we stop allowing the banks to effectively dictate the finances of our country. It is founded by a group of lawyers, engineers, business people, former civil servants, university academics, etc and is not allied to a particular political party or stance. I found it very interesting. Could this be the answer to the UK's problems? What is stopping us? - Is it just those who have the power and vested interests? Have people come across this before? What do you think?

http://www.bankofenglandact.co.uk/

the whole basis of their argument is flawed in that banks don't actually create money they just move around the money they do have very efficiently

fundamentally, they are talking about almost total state control of the banking system and the wider economy which may or may not be a good thing depending on your viewpoint

the whole basis of their argument is flawed in that banks don't actually create money they just move around the money they do have very efficiently

fundamentally, they are talking about almost total state control of the banking system and the wider economy which may or may not be a good thing depending on your viewpoint

The first point you make, is the whole point. Banks don't create money, do they? They charge huge amounts of interest on what money there is. The proposal would ensure that banks were part in creating money, by investing in production.

The proposal involves a separation of powers regarding control of the bank. It would ensure that money is invested fairly back in to the system, instead of the government, in effect, subsidising the banks by a 100 billion pounds annually, which is distributed amongst the banking sector. It is you and me who are paying for this subsidy!:o

State control of industries was proven a total disaster in the 1970s. (Actually, it was fairly obviously a disaster long before then, but the political will to do anything about it never appeared until after they had brought the country to complete bankruptcy and the IMF forced us to do something.)

How soon people forget. Now they want to impose state control on an industry and they think it will help.

State control of industries was proven a total disaster in the 1970s. (Actually, it was fairly obviously a disaster long before then, but the political will to do anything about it never appeared until after they had brought the country to complete bankruptcy and the IMF forced us to do something.)

How soon people forget. Now they want to impose state control on an industry and they think it will help.

Have you read the proposal in the link as solution to the problems we have at the moment? What do you think of it? Do you think a working family, struggling to pay the bills, never mind about afford a school trip or holiday, should be picking up the bill for a 100 billion pounds annual subsidy for the sole puropse of the banking sector, for them to dish up between them?

The first point you make, is the whole point. Banks don't create money, do they? They charge huge amounts of interest on what money there is. The proposal would ensure that banks were part in creating money, by investing in production.

charging interest doesn't create money as that would mean the person paying the interest was the person actually creating it. if the average person was caught creating money from nothing then he'd get a long holiday for forgery :)

The proposal involves a separation of powers regarding control of the bank. It would ensure that money is invested fairly back in to the system, instead of the government, in effect, subsidising the banks by a 100 billion pounds annually, which is distributed amongst the banking sector. It is you and me who are paying for this subsidy!:o

the site makes this claim about the subsidy, but I can't find where he actually identifies where it comes from.

I really am interested to read that people are seriously looking for ways to produce more sustainable and fairer banking systems. My main issue with it is this statement (taken from http://www.bankofenglandact.co.uk/)-

restore the right to create the nation’s money to a public agency of the state (the Bank of England under the direction of the Monetary Policy Committee, all under strict controls, transparency and separation of powers)

The issue I see with it is that their experiment has already succeeded- banks became very profitable under the present system. We all know well from the recent elite antics that ethical behaviour and rule books (even beneficial and important ones) get thrown out of the window as soon as a/our country goes to war. If we did implement these rules I think that sooner or later they would get disregarded in the name of greed.

I think it's time for a new human/ resource-based ideology rather than corporation/ consumer-led capitalist system.

Archived