Meanwhile, the rich get richer..

No-one thought to question both JFKVsNixon's assertion that the top 1% pay 25% of the nation's taxes - JFK - can you support this with some evidence? Or have you just heard this figure in the pub?

There was a survey published not so long back. The figures sound about right.

If memory serves, it was quite interesting what the survey didn't say.

There was a survey published not so long back. The figures sound about right.

If memory serves, it was quite interesting what the survey didn't say.

Sorry HairyLoon, I'm still not convinced. I read a survey not so long ago said 1% of the richest 2% eat 3% of the poorest 4%'s first born children.

Do you have a link to this part remembered survey? I don't

And how much of the countries wealth do they have? If it is around 25%, then i guess that is fair enough - if (as i suspect) it is more than 25% then they aren't paying their fair share.

Note: the only source i have says that they have about "a third" of the wealth, so they should be paying a third of the tax money, minimum.

We pay tax on income, not on net assets.

The rich list is a comparison of total wealth, not of income. The top 1% richest pay 25% of the tax. They also own 1/3rd of the wealth in the country, but that doesn't imply that they receive 1/3rd of the income in the country.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. The original post:

According to the Times rich list, the collective wealth of Britain's 1,000 richest people has increased by nearly a third. (The multimillionaires, 513 of which are based in London, are worth £335.5 billion, up by £77.265billion this year.

So the average net income of the top 1000 was £77,265,000.

That is less than a million and a half per week. How do they ever make ends meet?

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. The original post:

So the average net income of the top 1000 was £77,265,000.

That is less than a million and a half per week. How do they ever make ends meet?

That's not income, that's a change in net worth.

If you own a house and house prices increase by 10% your net worth in the house has risen 10%. That's not income though.

Archived