I've lived beyond my means for years

:huh:

By comparison I have spent money well within my means. I have savings, and my mortgage is paid off. Times may be difficult ahead, but my stress levels on facing the unknown future is precisely zero.

My friends may have had German built cars, Florida holidays and the latest iPhone, whilst I have chosen to drive a slightly older car, UK holidays, and a crappy phone, but I can boast of happiness whilst they have only bought misery for themselves.

And which country are you a metaphor for?

I've spent more than I earnt. I've wasted money on vanity projects and made bad financial decisions. I also used some money to buy friends and supported them as well. I spent without thought when things were going well and didn't put anything away. I have no savings few assets no pension and no provision for my old age.

The amount I have to repay is more than I make and I really don't know what to do. I might have to go bankrupt or go cap in hand to an agency to try to beg for money. I do, on paper look pretty good but liquid cash is going to be a problem.

Should I cut back and try to get my finances in order or should I just carry on as I am?

This thread is not really about me. Its meant as an allegory about Britain and the effects of the economy at the moment. Everyone who quotes this and sees this extra message just use the headscratching smillie to show you saw this message and understand what i'm trying to do.

Cheers!

My bold

:huh:

There's yer answer then - become a rent boy!!!! :hihi:

I've spent more than I earnt. I've wasted money on vanity projects and made bad financial decisions. I also used some money to buy friends and supported them as well. I spent without thought when things were going well and didn't put anything away. I have no savings few assets no pension and no provision for my old age.

The amount I have to repay is more than I make and I really don't know what to do. I might have to go bankrupt or go cap in hand to an agency to try to beg for money. I do, on paper look pretty good but liquid cash is going to be a problem.

Should I cut back and try to get my finances in order or should I just carry on as I am?

This thread is not really about me. Its meant as an allegory about Britain and the effects of the economy at the moment. Everyone who quotes this and sees this extra message just use the headscratching smillie to show you saw this message and understand what i'm trying to do.

Cheers!

:loopy: .. . . . . . . .!

Wow, you are honest, but especially with yourself. Good for you. :)

Yes, at this point it's going to be tough, I'm afraid. There is no easy way out. But you know you had a problem, that you made a few mistakes (don't we all!) and you know what you have to do to make it right. That itself is painful, but you did it, and that's half the battle.

What's that saying? When you're in a hole, stop digging. I don't know anyone who can spend money just for the hell of it. Well, I did. And those people are now in the crappy position of having to leave their McMansion because well, they can't afford to continue living there, and they can't sell that 4500 sq. ft. monstrosity because the bottom has dropped out of the housing market and they're way underwater on it. Frankly, if they don't end up divorced, I'll be surprised.

Anyway, what ruby said. That was some very sound advice. You might want to talk to someone about debt restructuring, perhaps you can pay it off over a longer time period. If that person would rather lecture you than help, walk out and find another one. I agree with whoever said to think of those you owe money to. Those people lent you money in good faith, and you should exhaust every possibility before defaulting on your debts. Even if you can only repay a portion of it, make the effort. If you have to eat beans a few nights a week and skip luxuries, then so be it. Talk to your creditors. If you owe money on credit cards, they may lower the interest rate rather than face the option of getting zip.

Bankruptcy, like suicide, is the coward's way out. I've seen firsthand the ripple effect of filing bankruptcy. A friend's husband was never paid by a pool plastering company that went bust. They owed him for tiling 20 pools. It created a mess they are still trying to dig out of, two years later.

Good luck to you. I mean that. You will live through this.

Hmmm. Nothing like taking advantage of other people's kindness, is there? No one had to reply to you, but they did because they thought you were in trouble and genuinely wanted advice. Some folks will rush in to help someone else without thinking that person may just be playing games. I like to think I'm that type of person. Here's hoping you never really need that sort of assistance. Cheers.

Cheers!

Are you by any chance called Gordon Brown?

Cheers!

You are a bad person. However, your duplicity was clear to see on my iphone... the iphone which I paid for from the proceeds of my own hard work and prudence. You people :huh:

Archived