Sheffield Gangs and the Flying Squad

Hamilton

This was a case in which the police extracted confessions with the aid of a rhino whip and coshes, from three Sheffield men, a good reason why we now have the police complaints comission.

The policemen involved in the beating were dismissed, but other officers were believed to have some knowledge of all this and were reprimanded.

A couple resigned.

to Depoix,

knew Ken & Albert.

Retep — just as times were different in the days of Sillitoe, times were different in the case of the rhino whipping which, if true, was inexcusable. However, I still believe that the only way to deal with criminals is by meeting them head on, so to speak. Who cares what means are used. The idea is to get criminals off the streets by any means available, whether legitimate or not. It’s the only way to restore law and order.

Retep — just as times were different in the days of Sillitoe, times were different in the case of the rhino whipping which, if true, was inexcusable. However, I still believe that the only way to deal with criminals is by meeting them head on, so to speak. Who cares what means are used. The idea is to get criminals off the streets by any means available, whether legitimate or not. It’s the only way to restore law and order.

I believe in tougher sentence's into a prison that you would'nt want to go back to, or go to in the first place, would be a better option, then the police would not have to criminalise themselves.

Be tougher than the criminals, be harder, be rougher, it's the only rules they understand. That's what Shillito did, and it would work now.

And when they're arrested, make it so uncomfortable inside that they'd hate going back. Criminal's human rights ???? don't make me laugh.

We all deserve to walk down our streets without the fear of being attacked, mugged etc. Thats the same now as it has always been.

When Shillito and his methods were in force Sheffield was one of the safest places in the UK

Much the same happened in New York during the "zero tolerance" period - if a baddie even so much as farted they would run him in and make life very uncomfortable - the result? - the subways became a safe place to ride on - Times Square became a place to take your families, not the druggie/sex shop inhabited pit it had been for many years. (Slightly off topic)Funnily enough it was Disney who started that off when they opened the Lion King in a renovated theatre on 42 street amongst all the sex theatres - the mayor promised Disney that in a few months the area would be 'clean' again - the operation was so succesful it just grew and grew.

Hagardrily —When Sillitoe was chief constable times were different. People were afraid of the gangs and he cleared them with all the means available to him. How he cleared them, does it matter? They were garbage to be shifted off the streets. And as for policemen being scared of them — or anyone else for that matter — they’ve always got back-up, and more back-up, and even more if necessary. And as for the police being scared, if the gangs were not scared, how the heck did he clear them from Sheffield! I for one would like to see more of them on the streets today. The UK — and Sheffield in particular — would be better off with them. I think you need Sillitoe’s methods to get these deadlegs off your streets today
Arthur; I totally agree because that type of yobbo is only afraid of one thing and thats physical pain, the law , shame , respect for others,they dont know the meaning of.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

the rhino whipping case was police brutality at its worst. the officers involved had been out drinking when they came back to the station they beat albert and ken hartley and another man (name not known) with the rhino whip and truncheons .all three suffered terrible injuries ;this would not have come to light if it wasnt for another man who was detained for other reasons came out of the station and went to the daily mirror to tell them of this crime

If I remember correctly the Rhino Whipping case was years after the Sheffield Gangs were operating.

I remember a photo of a man's scarring on his back caused by the whip, this was used as evidence of his beating.

I know the name of the man but I do not want to reveal his identity on here.

Unhappy Bad Days!

Archived