Sheffield Gangs and the Flying Squad

Hamilton

Would that be the one involving the Hartley brothers? I seem to remember a bit of business when the Police, looking to enhance their yearly results, picked them up and tried to coerce them into confessing to crimes they had nothing to do with.

Thats the one.

My grand dad, George Saville Ward, lived in Princess Street, just down the road from where Mr Plommer was murdered by the Fowler Brothers in 1925. Apparently my grand dad was known as a "safe pair of hands" in that he was often asked to "look after" goods until the heat was off. If anyone knows anything about him and my grandmother Lucy Addy I would be delighted to hear

• 4 years later...
Wrong brothers its the Fowler brothers i was talking about Right up to him dieing the nephew said they were innocent

Hi, My grandmar was Mary Fowler, known as polly fowler, the sister of the fowler brothers mum, apparently they got hanged for a murder they did not commit.

cannot understand why they did not gang up on the coppers or attack their homes. [/b]
because the coppers would go round thier homes and beat the crap out of them, then lock them up for not respecting the law!!!! this is in the days before political correctness,as in the coppers hands were not tied.they could enforce the law

Well said deadgobby; it's a shame it's not the same now, bloody PC brigade!:rant:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Rhino Whip affair gave rise to Section 49 of the Police Act, 1964. The Act was mainly an administrative tool, but when it was going through Parliament, someone discovered that there was no formal way for making complaints against the police. Sec 49 was squeezed in at the last moment. Like all 'knee jerk' legislation, it was deficient in definition, and some Chief Constables used it to get rid of problem bobbies, and I don't mean dishonest ones, just those who 'rocked the boat'. Wives and girlfriends complained over domestic issues, and neighbours to blackmail bobbies living nearby. In the early 70's, I went to see my local MP. Brian O Malley, who just happened to be one of the steering committee members of the Act. He told me that Sec. 49 was never intended to used in the way it was being used, and after having a quiet word with the Home Secretary, a diktat was issued ordering Chief Constables to stop using it for domestic issues. The Rhino Whip business has had a long reaching effect on the police ever since, mainly because it was exposed, that kind of thing had been going on since time immemorial, and still does, but with a bit more cunning than the brazen thuggery used before. The third man was Patrick Clifford Bowman by the way.

Archived