Booking a train ticket online - to Manchester Airport

thanks for that I did get the ticket, but what's with this?

Ref ++++++++

Tickets will be ready for collection in 2 hours time.

Collect your ticket(s) from the ticket machine at Sheffield.

You will need the payment card used and your collection reference.

why can't they just send you an e-ticket like everyone else? What if it messes up in some way? I can't afford anything to go wrong when I have to get to the airport. I suppose I'd better go down the day before which basically means booking online at all is a bit irrelevant in this case.

Ref ++++++++

why can't they just send you an e-ticket like everyone else? What if it messes up in some way? I can't afford anything to go wrong when I have to get to the airport. I suppose I'd better go down the day before which basically means booking online at all is a bit irrelevant in this case.

I would assume if you printed that with the reference and there was a problem they could sort it at the ticket desk? I'm not sure if that is how it is meant to work.

I guess you need a proper ticket as I think some stations have an automated barrier that required a ticket to get out.

Ref ++++++++

You can pick it up from the self collect machines at Sheffield station any time before you go. Make sure you take the pin number though.

I would assume if you printed that with the reference and there was a problem they could sort it at the ticket desk? I'm not sure if that is how it is meant to work.

I guess you need a proper ticket as I think some stations have an automated barrier that required a ticket to get out.

My bold

I think that must be the case, but I booked well ahead and had my tickets posted to me.

I've also booked a railway journey from Sydney and they use e-tickets, which are a lot more convenient.

And if you're picking up the ticket just before getting the train, leave at least 30 minutes to do so. The queues are horrific sometimes as the management there couldn't organise a you-know-what in a you-know-where.

price is excellent so no problems with that. They even sell open return tickets for just double a one-way.

UK infrastructure is not bad at all, but I'm going to be cautious here and get the ticket in my hand one of the days before, which means actually hauling myself down to the station when I don't want to catch a train, which I wouldn't ordinarily want to do. You just can't afford to take chances when it's an intercontinental flight you have to make. They should just issue normal e-tickets like everyone else does, rather than you having to push some buttons at the Sheffield Midland Railway Temple beforehand.

You can pick the ticket up from the machines anytime. It is simply saying it will be ready to pick up in 2 hours at the earliest.

I am pretty sure you can have the tickets sent to you but its extra.

Unfortunately they don't do e-tickets due to the ticket barriers.

Archived