Fury at "get on bus" comment

there are definately free all in one bus / tram / rail passes, or there were when i was claiming back in 2000.

They did have them 10 years ago, but they stopped them a while ago. I know because I asked last year.

Unless it's travel to an interview more than an hour away (and you have the appointment in writing, then go and apply for it at the job centre) you have to pay full price for public transport if you're unemployed.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree anyway - I dont think thats why TUs and others are angry about these comments.

IDS sort of seems to be implying that the employment problems of places like Merthyr Tydfil could be solved overnight if only people were to bother to find out about the 149 to Cardiff, which is clearly not true.

It costs more than a third of an under 25's Jobseeker's Allowance to buy a weekly bus pass in Sheffield. If they have to catch a bus, what are they supposed to eat? It'd leave them with just £34.35 a week to spend on food, clothes & other expenses.

The cost of attending interviews will be reimbursed by the job centre so this is no excuse. They can also receive up to £100 to cover costs such as buying a suit also.

Get off your lazy backside and get to interviews.

The cost of attending interviews will be reimbursed by the job centre so this is no excuse.

If they jump through hoops to get the train ticket, if it's out of their local area & if it's the right type of interview (one that sends you a letter with enough notice, rather than a call asking you to come tomorrow). They make that scheme so much hassle & so unrealistic that hardly anyone can use it.

Otherwise they're out of luck.

Plus, they've got to get the interview first, looking for a job is more than just going to interviews.

Then, if they get the job, they might have to travel to work daily for a month before they get paid & after their benefits have been stopped.

If they jump through hoops to get the train ticket, if it's out of their local area & if it's the right type of interview (one that sends you a letter with enough notice, rather than a call asking you to come tomorrow).

Plus, they've got to get the interview first, looking for a job is more than just going to interviews.

So what job do you have to personally hand your CV into the company? You can email or post your CV, you can also call the company if you want that personal touch.

You don't have to jump through hoops, all you need to do is prove you went to the interview. A quick note from the prospective employer or the offer letter are perfectly fine.

Stop making excuses and start looking for ways in which people can get back into work.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree anyway - I dont think thats why TUs and others are angry about these comments.

IDS sort of seems to be implying that the employment problems of places like Merthyr Tydfil could be solved overnight if only people were to bother to find out about the 149 to Cardiff, which is clearly not true.

You want the X78 to Cardiff from Merthyr :)

I agree with your analysis to an extent though. There aren't enough jobs to go round and the logical conclusion of the spending review will be that about another million or so jobs will go, in both the public and private sectors. They'd better lay on some extra X78s.

The idea of asking people to be mobile in their search for work is a good one though. They now need to enable people to do so, by providing subsidised public transport for those who need it.

The cost of attending interviews will be reimbursed by the job centre so this is no excuse. They can also receive up to £100 to cover costs such as buying a suit also.

Get off your lazy backside and get to interviews.

It isn't just the interview though. Most people won't get paid for a month after getting a job that they have to travel to. There is nothing wrong with getting people to travel to go to work, but it will need an input from the Government to make it work.

If they jump through hoops to get the train ticket, if it's out of their local area & if it's the right type of interview (one that sends you a letter with enough notice, rather than a call asking you to come tomorrow). They make that scheme so much hassle & so unrealistic that hardly anyone can use it.

Then, if they get the job, they might have to travel to work daily for a month before they get paid & after their benefits have been stopped.

To be fair I think many people have surmounted much bigger obstacles to try and get work.

The idea of asking people to be mobile in their search for work is a good one though. They now need to enable people to do so, by providing subsidised public transport for those who need it.

Exactly, if they bring back the passes that they had 10 years ago it'd be much more realistic.

Instead they've cut the rise in benefits so they'll only rise with CPI, but transport costs rise by more than CPI, so the situation is going to get worse.

Archived