Fury at "get on bus" comment

It isn't just the interview though. Most people won't get paid for a month after getting a job that they have to travel to. There is nothing wrong with getting people to travel to go to work, but it will need an input from the Government to make it work.

No and this is why your JSA and housing benefit is still paid after you sign off for approx 4 weeks.

No and this is why your JSA and housing benefit is still paid after you sign off for approx 4 weeks.

weekly tickets that you can use on any stagecoach bus within sheffield and also on tram are £12 - benefit is how much? sorry I attached this to wrong thread

It costs more than a third of an under 25's Jobseeker's Allowance to buy a weekly bus pass in Sheffield. If they have to catch a bus, what are they supposed to eat? It'd leave them with just £34.35 a week to spend on food, clothes & other expenses.

they wont be on job seekers allowance if they are working!

The point that Duncan Smith was making is that people are not willing to take a job if it entails travelling for an hour.

They expect the job to be on their doorstep.

I moved 80 miles to get my last job and my s in law gets up at 4:30am to travel 70 miles to London each day for his work.

TOO MANY WANT IT EASY.

I think the point that Iain Duncan-Smith made would have been much more valid if he'd said that people from Myrthyr should look for work in the short-term in Cardiff, whilst his government (and the Welsh Assembly) worked hard to ensure that there would be a focus upon job creation and economic stimulus in Myrthyr (and mid-Wales) in the next few years.

Myrthyr (and other towns like it) have been horribly failed by recent successive governments and I don't blame the people who live there for feeling angry about such a flippant comment as 'get on a bus' while the politicians offer them nothing and allow their town to become even more run down.

However, if more people were able to find work in Cardiff and then spend their wages locally in Myrthyr, it might help boost the economy of the town and get it on its feet again. One option for them might be to club together to buy a bus and transport themselves collectively to and from Cardiff more cheaply- plus it would create one extra job with the bus driver. They could charge cheap fares to anyone that didn't stump up initially for the bus & insurance and even make some of their cash back.

Archived