Fury at "get on bus" comment

It seems to me that people on here seem to think every job is the same. I travel about 40 miles to work each day, but do so because I enjoy the work and the environment. I recently went for a similar job closer to home but turned it down. There is absolutely no correlation between a good job and its proximity to your house other than convenience.

I think the problem is partly the blinkered "can't see beyond the 7 hills" attitude of some forum members.

Perhaps. There's no way any one of us (on this forum or elsewhere) can make a definitive assessment of 'What's the best job in the world?'

We - each of us - have to make our own choices. If you start from "There are no boundaries, get what you want and you will only get it if you're prepared to grab it with both hands" you won't go too far wrong. - Provided you take the people who helped you grab it with you. (Work that out for yourself.)

My first job choice was hardly shabby. I was an airline pilot. Lots of money, lots of birds and (the standard - going rate for the job) 3 visits to the clap clinic. I did a couple of other jobs, then I joined the Air Force. That's not a job, it's a way of life.

At times I was paid shabbily, at times I was paid adequately. I went to a lot of funerals. Sometimes we had bodies to bury, sometimes we buried a couple of hundred pounds of gravel. One of the 'downsides' of my job was that 'you die'. (At least the government paid the (not small) life insurance excess premiums which the companies charged when they found out what we did.):hihi::hihi:

It might begin to make up for all that unpaid work you've done over the years.

If I volunteer my time, I tend to do it for people who can't pay going rates - charities etc. I very rarely volunteer my services so someone else can make a buck off my back.

If you work for nothing, you'll drive other people's wages down.

It's an English disease - putting in loads of unpaid time in an attempt to curry favour with their employer.

And this is where we will have to agree to differ. When I offered my services to the Queen [my Liege Lord, the Duke of Normandy ;)] I did so unconditionally. (Well, that was a part of my birthright.) (We're a really weird bunch.)

I joined a group of people who act like me, have the same aims, are extremely loyal (you can write a list as long as you like.)

We were a community. A way of life. - And a way of death. I buried my best friend in 1976 and I buried a guy I'd gone through school with in 1982. A part of the job (still doesn't make it easy.)

If I could have my life all over again, then there are a few people I would prefer not to have offended, a few people I would've preferred to impress rather more than I did and probably more than a few I could've helped more. There's where the guilt lies.

I started out poor. And I mean poor. I started out with nothing (Well, 2 quid from my Dad).

I've no problem with people being poor - that's life. I've been there.

Doing nothing about is is not life; it's unnatural.

Apparently some unions and some other people are furious at the suggestion they should get on a bus for work :loopy:

Isn't that what millions of working people already do? :huh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11606537

Men born with silver spoons in their mouths who've never been on a bus or got their hands dirty in their lives tell people made jobless through the wreckless gambling of people just like aforementioned multi-millionaires to "get on the bus and find a job"! What could there possibly be to object to in that?

Get on the bus!!! What bus? Transport funding is being cut

Why the hell are we funded public transport. It was privatised. We should contribute nothing. The private sector knows best.

The money would be better spent on welfare, which hasn't been privatised.

Mod Note

Posts containing personal insults have been removed.

if you can't discuss the issue without making personal insults then the thread will be closed and further actions may be taken.

Archived