Coal mines in Yorkshire?

#James#

I am working on continuing a photographic project documenting marks that industry has left and is leaving within the land around the Humber region, and I'm looking to extend my project to areas of Sheffield, Wakefield, Doncaster and Leeds, focusing on coal in the area primarily. I've found it hard to find out the details and locations of surface coal mines around the region. Is anyone able to help me with locations of mines that are either still active, or closed but still standing as structures? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James

I am working on continuing a photographic project documenting marks that industry has left and is leaving within the land around the Humber region, and I'm looking to extend my project to areas of Sheffield, Wakefield, Doncaster and Leeds, focusing on coal in the area primarily. I've found it hard to find out the details and locations of surface coal mines around the region. Is anyone able to help me with locations of mines that are either still active, or closed but still standing as structures? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James

As far as I know the only working mine left in the region is Maltby. I don't think there is a huge amount left in the way of structure at most of the old pits - although most of the pit tips (slag heaps) are still there.

I'll see if I can dig up a list of the old collieries - google earth might show you if there's anything worth looking at.

Added - Bilge has given you the list - thanks mate - some memories there from a lad born 200 yards from the pit gates.

I think that Harworth is still open. The winding gear was still there last time I went past.

Harworth won't be on Bilge's list as it is just over the border in North Nottinghamshire - I think it was mothballed about 5 years ago although there has been talk of it re-opening and yes the infrastructure is still there. It also used to have an interesting system of getting the slag from the mine to the tip by means of buckets on an overhead cable pulley which used to cross the Blyth road.

Archived