Heil Cllr Gardner of Harrogate..wearing Nazi fancy dress

I've heard that in Germany a person can be arrested and imprisoned for even verbally stating that the holocaust did not exist.

Of course the Germans always did have a problem with democracy but I see an erosion of civil liberties gradually taking place in other countries that claim to be democracies.

The "righteously correct" are on the march in a big way.

The former research scientist blamed political rivals for leaking the photo - which had been put on Facebook - saying it had been done in a "nasty" way. He "cannot remember" doing a Nazi salute or having his photo taken.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/10/23/tory-council-leader-mike-gardner-fired-for-dressing-as-hitler-115875-22652679/#ixzz13OV38Cs6

Fool.

I feel my civil liberties aren't eroded because I can easily avoid deliberately offending anyone on the basis of their race.

You didn't say anything about intent earlier, is that part of the legislation and you were being vague earlier? or are you just moving the goalposts?

There are a fair few comedians whom I enjoy who's material does indeed offend people, sometimes on the basis of their race. Reginald D Hunter comes to mind, absolutely hilarious the other night on Have I got news for you, but doubtlessly some people could be offended by the jokes he was making.

Archived