Heil Cllr Gardner of Harrogate..wearing Nazi fancy dress

This just shows the intolerance for freedom of speech and expression in England.

Wearing a Nazi uniform may not be in the best of taste but that's the least of the problem.

More serious is the creeping tyranny of the righteously correct who are as intolerant of anything that does not conform to their way of thinking as the Nazis intoleration of the Jews.

The Nazi uniform hasn't been banned here in the UK, the fact that the person hire or purchased it to wear to the party does suggest that it's freely available.

This just shows the intolerance for freedom of speech and expression in England.

Wearing a Nazi uniform may not be in the best of taste but that's the least of the problem.

More serious is the creeping tyranny of the righteously correct who are as intolerant of anything that does not conform to their way of thinking as the Nazis intoleration of the Jews.

Not so. Many people are rightly offended by the use of Nazi symbolism. It is a shameful period in European history and should be treated with the seriousness that it deserves. I'm not sure whether you have visited the American Cemetary above Omaha Beach in Northern France, but if you have, you will know exactly what I mean.

I'm usually up for a joke. I love bad taste humour. However, this is a line that should not be crossed. The man is an idiot. His "joke" was a massive error of judgement.

You should be ashamed of yourself for comparing the actions of those who are shocked by this behaviour with the actions of the Nazis. I'm sure that on reflection, you will consider the murder of 6 million Jews and ten times as many soldier deaths to be more serious than a bit of moral outrage.

Depends who it is. Some ordinary bloke in a local boozer fancy dress party then you'd get away with it.

If you're an elected representative you should have a lot more common sense.

There is. It is almost inevitable that the leader of the council would attract adverse publicity by dressing up as one of the most reviled men in history. That reflects upon the party, the council and the town.

It does not reflect upon anything, because this is a fancy dress party. It has no bearing whatsoever on anyone, or anything, that is outside of that party.

You should be ashamed of yourself for comparing the actions of those who are shocked by this behaviour with the actions of the Nazis. I'm sure that on reflection, you will consider the murder of 6 million Jews and ten times as many soldier deaths to be more serious than a bit of moral outrage.

That's only a matter of degree. The offence is the same.

It does not reflect upon anything, because this is a fancy dress party. It has no bearing whatsoever on anyone, or anything, that is outside of that party.

Yes it does, as a public figure, and one who is there to represent all of his ward constituents, he should show some respect.

That's only a matter of degree. The offence is the same.

Absolutely correct. As an elected representative should involve a huge degree of sensitivity and sensibility.

Archived