Heil Cllr Gardner of Harrogate..wearing Nazi fancy dress

for starters MY father lost two brothers in the 2nd world war but could still watch and laugh at comedy relating to the nazis, and I've met jews who can to ....the jews hav'nt got a monopoly on grief or persecution though a lot of them think thay have ..same as small minded humorlesss people like you ,who like to keep the hatred alive on your little power trips

Your father had a choise as to what to watch and when.

Going up to a Jewish person where they work and making "jokes" about cremating Jewish people is not at all the same thing at all.

It's being horribly offensive for the sake of it.

False equivelence.

Mod Note

Posts containing personal insults have been removed, along with all posts referring to or quoting them and so on.

If you can't discuss the issue without making personal insults then the thread will be closed and you will face the consequences of ignoring this warning

Sure, and walking up to Jewish people and making fun of the possible murder of their relatives is even sicker.

I am sorry but I doubt if he was trying to make fun of the death of anyone.

You also say possible murder of their relatives so you do not know if any victims families were present.

Would you ban documentaries featuring the real Hitler as this may upset people.

This was a character dressed in the context of the fancy dress party that was being held. Not an Hitler adoration party which would have been a completely different situation.

You also say possible murder of their relatives so you do not know if any victims families were present.

This was a character dressed in the context of the fancy dress party that was being held. Not an Hitler adoration party which would have been a completely different situation.

Harvey, you're wasting your time. No matter how much common sense you volunteer, it will be twisted and sent back completely out of context.

I'm talking about walking up to a Jewish person whilst dressed as a nazi and making holocaust jokes.

I'm talking about walking up to a Jewish person whilst dressed as a nazi and making holocaust jokes.

He was dressed in fancy dress not full nazi regalia. It was obvious he was treating Hitler with ridicule and not respect and therefore his comments must have been meant as jokes and not to cause offence.

Would you feel as offended if he had done the same thing against someone whose soldier father had been killed in the war ?

He was dressed in fancy dress not full nazi regalia. It was obvious he was treating Hitler with ridicule and not respect and therefore his comments must have been meant as jokes and not to cause offence.

Would you feel as offended if he had done the same thing against someone whose soldier father had been killed in the war ?

Oh good grief, I'm not talking about the silly councillor, I'm talking about conrod defending....well read the thread.

Not so. Many people are rightly offended by the use of Nazi symbolism. It is a shameful period in European history and should be treated with the seriousness that it deserves. I'm not sure whether you have visited the American Cemetary above Omaha Beach in Northern France, but if you have, you will know exactly what I mean.

I'm usually up for a joke. I love bad taste humour. However, this is a line that should not be crossed. The man is an idiot. His "joke" was a massive error of judgement.

You should be ashamed of yourself for comparing the actions of those who are shocked by this behaviour with the actions of the Nazis. I'm sure that on reflection, you will consider the murder of 6 million Jews and ten times as many soldier deaths to be more serious than a bit of moral outrage.

Sorry, I see the sanctity of free expression and speech as the most vital and important rights of freedom even if in this particular case it was in bad taste.

I dont have to feel ashamed of myself for airing such views. I was merely execising my rights of freedom of speech or should I be censored for this?

Yes I have visited the American cemetery above Omaha Beach. Ironically enough they died to protect the very thing I advocate which is freedom of speech and expression even in it's most obnoxious forms as well as liberating us from the tyranny of the book burners, media censors and the imprisonment of those who dared to speak out against Nazism. Can you not see that?

As an aside and a matter of curiosity on my part If you saw a film crew in process of making a movie and actors dressed up in Nazi uniforms what would you do?

Freedom of speech and expression is not a crime but only a crime by those who would seek to suppress it

Archived