Everyone should be happy

Some people are born in to great wealth, have their every need met; yet end up having utterly miserable lives; not being blessed with the opportunity to overcome hardship and adversity ... their existance is shallow and superficial. People only ever respect them for what they have, not for who they are.

On the other hand, some people have found the strength of character within their own being, to overcome difficulties, and make it in life, despite their dis-advantaged beginnings...

I wonder if Maslows heirarchy of needs accounts for these 2 types of people?

Perhaps it's not so much what we have that makes us really happy, as who we are, and if we can feel proud of who we are.

Some people are born in to great wealth, have their every need met; yet end up having utterly miserable lives; not being blessed with the opportunity to overcome hardship and adversity ... their existance is shallow and superficial. People only ever respect them for what they have, not for who they are.

On the other hand, some people have found the strength of character within their own being, to overcome difficulties, and make it in life, despite their dis-advantaged beginnings...

I wonder if Maslows heirarchy of needs accounts for these 2 types of people?

Perhaps it's not so much what we have that makes us really happy, as who we are, and if we can feel proud of who we are.

Have you read the theory ?

I beleive the theory covers both types of people, it is not about wealth alone but different ways a person can achieve satisfaction.

I agree that happiness is relative and I don't think people should feel bad for feeling bad (as it were!)...and that things like depression can affect how full or not your particular glass is...but I also think, if you can, it's no bad thing to remind yourself now and again how fortunate you are to have been born where you are in this life...

Crap.

If I want to bemoan my lot in life, I will. I honestly couldn't give a damn if Mr Nkemanna Mjumbi in some far flung country has it far worse than I ... Why? Because I'm a fundamentally selfish individual who is primarily concerned with the well being of me and my family ... Everyone else can go whistle.

Crap.

If I want to bemoan my lot in life, I will. I honestly couldn't give a damn if Mr Nkemanna Mjumbi in some far flung country has it far worse than I ... Why? Because I'm a fundamentally selfish individual who is primarily concerned with the well being of me and my family ... Everyone else can go whistle.

Charming...well you've made me feel grateful anyway - I'm glad I'm not you!

Archived