Cafe told to remove extractor fan to "avoid offending Muslims"

A cafe in Stockport has been told to remove the extract fan because a local has complained that the smell of cooking bacon is offencive to muslims.The funny thing is ,it wasn't a muslim that brought the complaint, but some meddling do-gooder who's motives are unclear.This is just the kind of pc clap trap that causes friction between folk,and puts peoples livlihood at stake. Who gets upset about frying bacon anyhow,it just makes me hungry!

The 'local' was the next door neighbour, and in the story I read he was a Muslim.

Probably a non story. I live near a farm and get tired of the smell of manure wafting through the window, can`t tell the farmer to stop though.You just get on with it.

I live next door to a Daily Mail reader so I have the same problem.

The 'local' was the next door neighbour, and in the story I read he was a Muslim.

Then you didn't read the story properly.

I have no idea if Muslims in general find the smell of bacon troubling, but I have a Muslim colleague who was working at a cafe before his present job and had to fry up the bacon. He said he was often tempted to have a taste as it smelt so good, but he resisted the temptation.

And councillors at Liberal Democrat run Stockport Council in Greater Manchester ruled the 'odours given off from the vent were unacceptable for neighbouring residents.'

This is the key paragraph. It was a simple planning decision, nothing more, nothing less. Odours and smells can be considered when making a planning decision. The fact that a Muslim person objected is purely coincidental. If a Muslim person had objected to their neighbours extending their house it would have been the same thing. It's just the Telegraph stirring.

Have a look at the laws here: http://www.havant.gov.uk/havant-3963

A cafe in Stockport has been told to remove the extract fan because a local has complained that the smell of cooking bacon is offencive to muslims.The funny thing is ,it wasn't a muslim that brought the complaint, but some meddling do-gooder who's motives are unclear.This is just the kind of pc clap trap that causes friction between folk,and puts peoples livlihood at stake. Who gets upset about frying bacon anyhow,it just makes me hungry!
Isn't that usually the case anyhow ?

Isn't that usually the case anyhow ?

No.

It's usually the case that it is misrepresented - although surprised the Telegraph has stooped to this level. It used to carry straight news (editorial was summat different) and leave the slanting to the Mail and Express.

No.

It's usually the case that it is misrepresented - although surprised the Telegraph has stooped to this level. It used to carry straight news (editorial was summat different) and leave the slanting to the Mail and Express.

As opposed to the Murdock opinionated news ?

Archived