Fancy Restaurant Required

Dave

Hmmm, the Blue Room isn't for me DB.

I can't think of a restaurant with less atmosphere and weirder decor. What's that B&Q water feature about in the lobby, and the table with limo hire cards that greets you in the entrance.

It feels like you're in the basement of an old cinema. Funny that eh? ;)

Originally posted by Tony

Hmmm, the Blue Room isn't for me DB.

I can't think of a restaurant with less atmosphere and weirder decor. What's that B&Q water feature about in the lobby, and the table with limo hire cards that greets you in the entrance.

It feels like you're in the basement of an old cinema. Funny that eh? ;)

I can't believe you don't like the decor or atmosphere, it's amazing.

You are an old fart though so I guess you'd be happier at a Toby Carvery :P

Err, I'm hardly an old fart DB, it just looks as though it was put together by somebodies wife at the weekend rather than a proper designer.

The food that I've had has been nice enough, but it's nothing special - apart from the price.

Originally posted by Tony

Err, I'm hardly an old fart DB, it just looks as though it was put together by somebodies wife at the weekend rather than a proper designer.

The food that I've had has been nice enough, but it's nothing special - apart from the price.

Ya tell us owt :P

Oh well, can't please everyone I guess, but personally I thought it was a fantastic restaurant, nice decor, and great food.

Just my 2 penneth ;)

Nope, you're right DB, you can't please everyone. It wouldn't do if we all liked the same things, and the Blue Room isn't for me. It's very overrated these days IMO, but that's IMO.

For the very top of the fancy tree there is only Fischer's, but be prepared to let your wallet leak until it bleeds. I've never ever come away feeling anything less than pleased there though.

The Cavendish's Garden Room (also at Baslow) makes a nice compromise. Not daft prices on either food or wine, but a great place to spend an evening with a couple of friends. I wouldn't bother with the main dining room unless you're wearing a twin set and want of listen to conversations about 'the youth of today - we need a war'. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Rafters in Hangingwater - always superb.

543 - food OK, but too bustling. Not ideal for an intimate dinner for two.

Thyme - ditto.

Blue Room - went there a couple of weeks ago. My lobster ravioli was a travesty, and the less said about my wife's gnocchi the better. Chef's night off?

Fischers - always fantastic. The absolute best for food and service. Unfortunately it costs a fortune and it's in the back of beyond.

Ye Olde Vicarage - food on a par with Rafters, but last time we went we had to wait nearly two hours before we were seated - we booked weeks in advance.

Chez Lahlou - for the real trencherman. I've never seen so much food in my life. The appetisers are bigger than some main courses.

Others - I quite like the Siam Inter on London Road. Sheikhs on West Street is OK, especially the mezze.

So if I were you, I'd go to Fischer's, but don't expect any change out of your £150.

Archived