Lib Dems - MELTDOWN

I feel a bit sorry for the Government, they have no option but to make the cuts and yet its bound to result in them being out of power for a long long time

Thatcher did similar and she went on to even more support. I think these cuts are engineered to be sever now and then tail off before the next election so as the government can sail into an election campaign on the winds of prosperity and renewed growth. Although the latest growth picture seems to show we are performing a lot better then expected.

You can clearly see for the period '79 to '97 the deficit does not rise above 46% but the two blaring spikes are the result of Labour governments even though the Conservatives of the 80's and 90's also had recessions to contend with. This all comes to a head with the exponential growth in our nations debt in 2009 only months before labour are booted out of office. Thank God!

Conveniently forgetting the banking crisis.

Conveniently forgetting the banking crisis.

You can clearly see for the period '79 to '97 the deficit does not rise above 46% but the two blaring spikes are the result of Labour governments even though the Conservatives of the 80's and 90's also had recessions to contend with. This all comes to a head with the exponential growth in our nations debt in 2009 only months before labour are booted out of office. Thank God!

Conveniently forgetting nothing unless you think the banking crisis was not a recession :roll:

The pledge not to look into renewing Trident for this governments term of office is a clear sign of the two parties making concessions.

A policy which neither party proposed prior to the election

Its actually a clear sign of pragmatism - both parties know that they can't support the other's policy on Trident and Clegg doesn't have enough support in his party to force the issue - it isn't a concession, it's an acceptance that there is no alternative way to deal with it

A policy which neither party proposed prior to the election

Its actually a clear sign of pragmatism - both parties know that they can't support the other's policy on Trident and Clegg doesn't have enough support in his party to force the issue - it isn't a concession, it's an acceptance that there is no alternative way to deal with it

Sorry but you're wrong. The Lib Dem proposal as part of their 2010 election manifesto was:

Ruling out the like-for-like replacement of Trident nuclear weapons system - planning to save £100bn

This has been ruled out for the duration of this parliament.

Sorry but you're wrong. The Lib Dem proposal as part of their 2010 election manifesto was:

Ruling out the like-for-like replacement of Trident nuclear weapons system - planning to save £100bn

This has been ruled out for the duration of this parliament.

"Sorry" but the manifesto actually said "We will strive for global nuclear disarmament, showing leadership by committing not to replace the trident nuclear weapons system on a like for like basis"

They didn't say anything about deferring a decision (which isn't actually a saving) until a later date

I have struggled to find the words "strive for global nuclear disarmament" in the Conservative manifesto, but I have found the words "We will maintain a submarine based nuclear deterrent based on Trident"

I refer you to my previous post

"Sorry" but the manifesto actually said "We will strive for global nuclear disarmament, showing leadership by committing not to replace the trident nuclear weapons system on a like for like basis"

They didn't say anything about deferring a decision (which isn't actually a saving) until a later date

I have struggled to find the words "strive for global nuclear disarmament" in the Conservative manifesto, but I have found the words "We will maintain a submarine based nuclear deterrent based on Trident"

I refer you to my previous post

Well considering the decision has now been differed, the Lib Dem's wish not to renew tridnet has been achieved for the term of this parliament, has it not? Therefore as the Conservatives had a pledge to renew trident this is clearly a compromise between the two.

Archived