Hubble Deep Field: The most important image ever taken

Just one question.

In the video it says some of the galaxies are rushing away from us faster than the speed of light. I thought Einstein said nothing could travel faster than the speed of light.

It is to do with the "hubble sphere" and spmething to do with the nature of space the further away stuff is....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_sphere

At the time religions were formed, nobody knew that there was anything in the Universe outside of this planet and a few completely irrelevant dots of light. There are two possible reasons why the Holy Works don't address anything outside of the earth; one is that, being written by men and not God, their authors didn't know such things existed. The other is that, written by God, they left out the other stuff because the people to whom they were addressed wouldn't have understood it anyway.

The two possibilities are not, necessarily, equally likely.

Thats what my point was in essence: That religion cannot or will not evolve to provide answers to new questions which we have as a result of our advancement as a species

It is to do with the "hubble sphere" and something to do with the nature of space the further away stuff is....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_sphere

I read that and it kind of makes sense, although the concept of some light photons overtaking others does my head in. I was always taught that the speed of light is a constant, regardless of the velocity of the object emitting it. I thought that the only effect of velocity was a change in wavelength, the well known red shift:

"The boundary of the Hubble volume is known as the "Hubble limit". Per Hubble's law, objects at the Hubble limit have an average comoving speed of c relative to an observer on the Earth. This is significant, because, in a universe in which the Hubble parameter was constant, light emitted at the present time by objects outside the Hubble limit could never be seen by an observer on the Earth. However, the Hubble "constant" is not constant. In a decelerating Friedmann universe, the Hubble sphere expands faster than the Universe and its boundary overtakes light emitted by receding galaxies. In an accelerating universe, the Hubble sphere expands more slowly than the Universe, and bodies move out of the Hubble sphere. So the Hubble limit need not define the cosmological event horizon (that is, the boundary separating events visible at some time or other and those that are never visible), because (depending upon the cosmological model) light emitted at earlier times by objects outside the Hubble sphere still may eventually arrive inside the sphere and be seen by us. If, as is inferred from current observations, the expansion of the universe is in fact accelerating, then at a later time, some objects within the Hubble limit no longer will be observed (by us) as they are today."

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

The fact that something exists is proof that your conclusion is false.

There are only three possibilities:

1> Nothing exists.

2> Something exists, which came into existence from nothing.

3> Something exists which has always existed for inifinite time - in which case, nothing caused it, so it effectively came into existence from nothing.Nobody's ever thought of a fourth. Various religious types have crowbarred a god into option (3), by saying "something exists, therefore it must have been created; the creator has existed for infinite time" ... but that's not improving on the original statement, but just making it more complicated than it needs to be.

If its infinite its always been there no begining and no end .its infinity

Archived