Whats happened to the Niche?

CorkerSWFC

i read police reports saying even thouh there was no trouble inside the fact is if it was shut there wouldnt be incidents outside sad excuse for bad policing i also read of the stabbing incident was the first one in 9 yrs so get your facts straight lolypop

There were multiple stabbings, I used to work near there.

• 2 weeks later...

Niche has closed because the authorities made it commercially unviable for them to trade, end of.

It's no secret an incident occurred just down the street from Niche in July 2010, insulting in a stabbing. South Yorkshire Police then forced the Niche to close immediately under Section 53A of the Licensing Act until a license review had taken place, because the people involved in the incident had been in Niche earlier in the evening. In the license review, it was decided that Niche could reopen as a members only club. The conditions of the membership scheme were very very strict. As 'the falcon' has pointed out already, this scheme made it commercially unviable for Niche to trade. It was essentially a way to force the venue to close without telling them to close. Therefore, the authorities can now happily walk away with their heads held high saying that they put all the conditions in place for Niche to reopen successfully. In truth, what they actually did was close one of the most influential clubs in the country and put more than 100 people out of work (including management, artists, security, bar staff, cleaners etc). Of course, they'll have you believe it was in the city's beat interests; but was it? I beg to differ...

In my opinion (call me biased if you want, I don't care), they should have helped Niche to stay open by imposing realistic operating conditions. And why do I think it should have stayed open? Well, for one the authorities would know exactly where all of these so called trouble makers, gang members, drug dealers and criminals were on a Friday and Saturday night, now it's closed they have no idea. So watch out, the 'villains' will now be coming to a venue near you very soon! Also, the so called trouble was constantly on one of the best CCTV systems I have ever seen installed in a nightclub, any incidents were caught on several cameras. So you better hope the next venue you're in has just as good a CCTV when you bump into one of these 'baddies'. The Niche security team were second to none and dealt with any incidents quickly and effectively. The clubbers who went to Niche also brought a lot of trade to city centre bars before they went to the club. Finally, there was no denying (whether you liked it or not) that Niche was a massive influence on the UK underground music scene, it was born in Sheffield 20 years ago and the city should be proud of that; it belongs here. So really for me it was a no brainer when it came to keeping Niche open.

Incidents occur at venues all over the city, all over the country, all the time, but is the answer really to close them all together? Only last month, someone was stabbed in Wilkinsons at Hillsborough, perhaps they should now be forced to have a members only scheme?! This city is fast becoming a ghost town thanks to the authorities. GateCrasher have just tried to return to Sheffield (their spiritual home) and the authorities stopped them. Who are they going to chase out next?

Watch this space for another empty venue coming soon...

Niche has closed because the authorities made it commercially unviable for them to trade, end of.

It's no secret an incident occurred just down the street from Niche in July 2010, insulting in a stabbing. South Yorkshire Police then forced the Niche to close immediately under Section 53A of the Licensing Act until a license review had taken place, because the people involved in the incident had been in Niche earlier in the evening. In the license review, it was decided that Niche could reopen as a members only club. The conditions of the membership scheme were very very strict. As 'the falcon' has pointed out already, this scheme made it commercially unviable for Niche to trade. It was essentially a way to force the venue to close without telling them to close. Therefore, the authorities can now happily walk away with their heads held high saying that they put all the conditions in place for Niche to reopen successfully. In truth, what they actually did was close one of the most influential clubs in the country and put more than 100 people out of work (including management, artists, security, bar staff, cleaners etc). Of course, they'll have you believe it was in the city's beat interests; but was it? I beg to differ...

In my opinion (call me biased if you want, I don't care), they should have helped Niche to stay open by imposing realistic operating conditions. And why do I think it should have stayed open? Well, for one the authorities would know exactly where all of these so called trouble makers, gang members, drug dealers and criminals were on a Friday and Saturday night, now it's closed they have no idea. So watch out, the 'villains' will now be coming to a venue near you very soon! Also, the so called trouble was constantly on one of the best CCTV systems I have ever seen installed in a nightclub, any incidents were caught on several cameras. So you better hope the next venue you're in has just as good a CCTV when you bump into one of these 'baddies'. The Niche security team were second to none and dealt with any incidents quickly and effectively. The clubbers who went to Niche also brought a lot of trade to city centre bars before they went to the club. Finally, there was no denying (whether you liked it or not) that Niche was a massive influence on the UK underground music scene, it was born in Sheffield 20 years ago and the city should be proud of that; it belongs here. So really for me it was a no brainer when it came to keeping Niche open.

Incidents occur at venues all over the city, all over the country, all the time, but is the answer really to close them all together? Only last month, someone was stabbed in Wilkinsons at Hillsborough, perhaps they should now be forced to have a members only scheme?! This city is fast becoming a ghost town thanks to the authorities. GateCrasher have just tried to return to Sheffield (their spiritual home) and the authorities stopped them. Who are they going to chase out next?

Watch this space for another empty venue coming soon...

Excellent mez , top man and every word is so true .

there was a stabbing outside crystal fri night all cordened off but still open sat,still a city that your face has to fit

Once again falcon true words , and also few week ago outside DQ someone was knocked to the floor and died , but they are stilll open , obviously there face fiits or the police like there music ?

Archived